Thresher shark

Mike Fox

This was caught in Cornwall:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/7106976.stm

Wonder if they feed on squid?

Wonder what it really was I hooked a few weeks ago?

Mike

Almost undoubtedly it was chasing the same squid shoal as the fisherman.

The worst part about it is that it was well and truly alive when the skipper raised his nets.

If it was already drowned then fair enough, the skipper could fairly sell the catch for the pitence he got, but to slaughter it for peanuts was such a shame.

The only good point to come out of this sorry tale is how little the fish made at market - this shows without doubt how the perceptions of uk buyers have changed and that demand for shark meat (in the uk at least) is at an all time low ! Good news for our toothy friends...... real shame though that a fish decades old was killed unessesarily. sad.gif

I would try to cheer people up by pointing out how few chefs and establishments on the south coast will ask us to source shark for them - in the last year I've maybe been asked twice for it and on both occasions from chefs who had spent time working in South Africa... Was easy to say no as we have a policy not to buy anything considered endangered (Atlantic Swordfish/ Mediteranian Bluefin/Shark etc etc). Truth is in the market place people are starting to care ! Just to re-enforce this only last week I nearly fell over in an appointment with a local chip shop chain who actualy want to promote the sale of fish (and not cod !) from sustainable managed fisheries... thats a first and I hope it works for them.

Things are changing - not as fast as many would like but its happening smile.gif

What a shame

A truly amazing fish that was caught by a commercial fisherman

Caught as a bye catch and sold for 25p a pound. I had better not type my feelings on that

It shows that huge ones are about I believe the British records stands at under 350lb

A member who does not use the forum hooked and lost a shark two weeks ago it surfaced well away from the boat so he could not be sure of the species but it was a shark

Charlie

I thought the same as you guys about the return of the shark, seemed wastefull and pointless given that it was alive. I was told though in their defence that once on deck without using the lifting gear to get it back, which would have caused internal damage, there was no way of getting it back. Not sticking up for the guy, just trying to be balanced but I will finish on 'or was it just another pound of flesh to go towards the trip?'

This one is a toughie unless someone else has some expert knowledge.

However, as Tom pointed out it is amazing what is out there, if only we were braver to put the time in to find out what is swimming around our shores, certainly the Channel is full of bait fish this time of year.

I am told by those who should know, that unless sharks in general, but especially the larger ones are handled with extreme care, that liver damage is quite likely. Even sharks apparently ok at return after being decked, may eventually die. Certainly one of this size would have little chance after being heaved in a trawl net and then decked. I can't see how this one would have survived, but you'd have to be there to know, so no judgements from here. Just a shame to see her go. I suspect that for