Outboard Service

Rob

Decided that it was time to service my outboard. I purchased a service kit from Warsash Marine via their Ebay shop. They were very helpful and supplied exactly what was needed after a quick chat over email.

I purchased a copy of sthe Yamaha service manuals from Ebay for

DSC00333__Medium_.JPG

I also had to try and de-crust \ de-salt the cooling of the out board. Only having 100mls of Salt-X I could not mix up enough solution to put the leg of the motor in a large bucket. So off with the gearbox and improvise.

I hooked up my baitwell pump to the impellor inlet on what was left of the leg of the motor, and circulated 5 litres of solution through the engine. This was reaching hopefully all areas of the cooling system as I have left the thermostat out.

The pumped solution was the collected back in the bucket to flow again and again and again.

I left the 5 litres circulating for 48 hours and changed it twice more (Thanks PJ for the loan of more Salt-X as I had used all mine, in the mean time I got on the web asap and ordered the litre bottle!).

DSC00347__Medium_.JPG

Spark plugs were next and the main problem was getting the out, they were somewhere between the small and big sparkplug sockets for cars! mad.gif

So off to Halfords to get a deep 18mm socket, of course they only stock 17 and 19 deep so no good to me. Luckly a friend was able to loan me one so the job was easy.

Last but not least, gearbox and engine oil.

Engine oil, easy. Gearbox, what a pain. I had to syphon it in and with the cold weather this was slow and painful. I made a connector for the tubing by drilling out a length of M8 bar, popping this in the fill and breather hole for the gearbox and used a funnel. And waited and waited and waited. Eventually with some warmth from a hot air gun we got some movement (next time put gearbox and oil in the house for 24hrs before filling!).

All in all it went well, I took her out to Swanage bay on saturday and she went like a dream, all I have left are a few nipples left to grease! smile.gif

SALT-X Rules!!!!!!

DSC00351__Medium_.JPG

Edited by rob francis

Nice write up Rob, helps show people how easy a bit of self-service (phnar phnar) can be ! Nothing like messing around in your shed for hours and hours with various bits of metal - great fun.... biggrin.gif

I had the same problem with the viscosity of gear oil last season and used a large plastic syringe to inject it into the gearbox , you can buy one for

well I need some of this magic stuff - best source?

re gearbox oil - just use the mercruiser hand pump to pump it in/up. pretty much a must have service item for outboards or outdrives.

Duncan

Go to our home page and click on their advert. I believe you can only get it mail order or at shows

Martin

Rob,

Great info.

What H.P. is your Yamaha and how long has it taken to get corroded like that?

Do you keep your boat on a trailer or in the water and how have you been flushing the engine up to now?

I see Yamaha advise flushing the engine for a full 15 mins. if you use the hose attachment, but I can't see as you say that that is going to flush out behind a closed thermostat.

Rich (S)

Rich, My Yam is a 50 of 2003 vintage, it has done 95 hours. I always flush with muffs so the engine gets to temperature and the thermostat opens.

I can only assume that the previous owner didn't use muffs but the hose attachment which doesnt flush behind the stat (there was a post on here regarding this prob earlier this year ).http://www.pbsbac.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=6241

Don't use the hose connection, use muffs or a bucket of water.

Rob

p.s. I trailer.

Thanks Rob,

Totally agree about the muffs, but I now have my boat on a pontoon for six months so I am kippered for using the muffs. Unless of course I could use them with the engine fully tilted in the up position. I shall look into that.

Rich (S)

You should be able to use your muffs at tilt I guess. Also, the salt-x bottle says you can mix it with sea water to rinse your engine, but not to run the engine for more than 15 seconds I think.

Never used it for that but it sounds good.

Rob

Having thought about it, running the engine whilst tilted up is definitely not a good idea.

Being a 4 stroke the oil level is going to be affected and could have serious consequences.

Also the 30 HP Yamaha has carbs, and the float level could be affected when the engine is tilted and cause flooding.

I shall seek expert advice and let you know.

Rich (S)

Rob

Really great article and well done - all us Yam owners are having sleepless nights now!

I have the same problem, as my boat is always on the mooring. I have been using the flush connection joined up to my deckwash pump when I return the boat to the mooring, having filled up 30litres or so of fresh water in the marina.

I suppose its better than nothing, but have often wondered about using salt-x soak/ flush once in a while. |

I take the boat out on its trailer every 6-8 weeks for a scrub/ de-weed, so could just make up some solution in a drum and put the leg of the outboard into this ?

What was your comment about only running the engine for a few seconds?

Paul

Edited by Sinbad