2 - day Cod Comp.

alun j.

Briefly....... a 'whitewash' on the cod front for PBSBAC team! 5 of us fished two days on two good boats and couldn't catch a cod!

Smith and Jones, here on 'Shogun', saw 4 cod over the two days, and one of those was the biggest fish [ at just under 17 ]. Tom made it big with the bass on Weds, but we both struggled and couldn't get through the doggies on Thurs.

Summary of results : - from approx. 170 anglers on 20 boats :

Day 1 .... 45 fish caught .... best spot just outside the Needles light

Day 2 .... 33 fish caught .... scattered about

Two anglers managed 3 fish over the two days; winner bagged about 33 lbs of fish + cheque for

Mike,

That is about right, one boat managed 7 cod on the first day. A lot of the fish were small though in the 4lb-8lb bracket.

I managed a fish that was weighed at 12lb 9 biggrin.gif The only problem was it was silver and shiny and so didnt win any prizes. weep.gif

Edited by Deep Sea Dean

In my simplistic mind, that's some interesting numbers!

170 people for 2 days = 340 rod days

78 cod / 340 rod days = 0.23 cod per rod day

It means I need to spend 4 days over the cod ground with a rod to have an evens chance of a cod.

Or if I fish with 4 rods, I can do it in one day....

Or if fish with 8 rods....etc biggrin.gif

Wonder if my lack of proven skill and talent at cod fishing might count against me...?

Mike

Echo that!! Thanks again Neal for the organising, bait and [brief] company [whilst hanging about].

WE shared the 'Wooden spoon' for not catching any sizeable fish other than doggies!

I will try harder next year ....... and might be tempted into even bigger baits .... but I was using what had worked 2 days earlier!

I will be out practicing again SOON.

Alun.

Thanks guys,

It was a pleasure - shame none of us caught the elusive cod - but Toms Bass and particularly Dean's Bass were superb catches.

Tom and Alun were on the winning boat - "shogun" skippered by Rob Thompson

with Dave Barham- editor of BFM on board (if only they had known!!!)

I will be more than happy to arrange the same for next year and add anyone else that fancies Mikes odds of winning a few grand.

If anyone fishes other "away" competitions - or fancies doing so, let me know and I am more than willing to help or get involved eg the Garmin sponsored Plymouth festival this year looked good fun.

Cheers all and good luck in the open.

Pictures of Deans Bass to follow.........

Neal

Mike,

This is actually a great result cod wise relative to the last 3 years Poole Open Cod comps fished the week after christmas. it looks as though there are more fish around than recent years.

3 years ago 9 cod

2 years ago 6 cod

last year I think there were 5

similar numbers of rods - 120/160 entries including most Poole Cboats

(Phaeton landed cod on all but last year - with PJ winning and I got second by 1/2oz with mine..... mad.gif )

If you want to land cod - spring and summer offshore is the way to go!