Stern drive and out drive

Newboy

Oh you do ask good questions laugh.gif

Trouble is that there are no good (simple) answers laugh.giflaugh.gif

Power..............

200hp tractor

200hp sports car

Both have 200hp yes ? Well sort of...... The thing that makes the diferance is how fast the engine has to go to give you 200hp.

The tractor does it almost from the word go

The sports car has to build up it's speed before it starts giving 200hp.

The operative word is ....TORQUE or 'twisting power'

A fast reving sports petrol engine will only develop its full power once up to efficient speed. So its use to drive a big heavy slow displacement boat is useless

A big heavy slow running diesel can revolve its shaft even at slow speed against a lot of resistance, but do not forget part of the weight that is has to move is its own weight as well as the craft. So you can see there would be no advantage in having a sod off big heavy engine in a boat that is aimed to be light and fast.

On the other hand a fast petrol engine is ideal for a fast light craft. But where it falls down is the fact that it has to run fast to get its power. Useless therefore for a big heavy displacement boat that only goes at slow speed.

These answers only skim the surface of the subject and there are many 'Ah but' and 'What about' arguments and answers but I for one can't be arsed to get that pernickerty about it laugh.giflaugh.gif

Mike

I think I have the answer for this one.

I went fishing on a chartered boat a couple of months ago, one of the guy keep catching doggies and nothing else, even tho everyone else caught others. On the xxth doggy, it got so pissed off and he wacked it on the head and said 'I'll keep this and any others for the bloody cat mad.gif '

And it was the last doggie he caught that day...... wink.gif

I ask the good questions and you give the excellent answers ..... rolleyes.gif

I'm amazed and wonder what don't you know?!

I understand that in what we Westerners call the Far East, old age is venerated for the wisdom that is accumulated with the passing of years.

And what a jolly good idea that is too.

Now you know why!! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Mike