Monster Thresher Caught

Paul D

What a great fish

hell of a catch, and a wonderfull angling jesture to catch and release a fish that makes the existing record look small.

I hope that the angler gets the praise he deserves in the Press

I have read through some of the forum comments, It is worryng to see the Anti Angling views getting such a strong following.

Charlie biggrin.gif

Whilst fishing for tope in the deep holes south of St Catherines, for each of the last three years someone has hooked into what was assumed to be a thresher shark.

We don't use wire traces and they make short work of 150lb mono but they will jump right out of the water and it is exciting to hang on for a while.

I suspect all of the Solent Charter skippers know they are there - they just don't go after them. Plus they tend to frighten everything else away - even the large Tope move away.

I am still surprised that with measurements, witnesses and photos, that fish like this cannot be given a sub category "catch and release" record and not killed for the sake of it.

I was also apalled at the "blog" replies that accompanied the story - perhaps that is how the general public view us and our "sport".

Neal

PS whilst he was out catching his shark, we had another 20lb Blonde Ray - thats 3 in 3 trips ( or just maybe its the same stupid fish caught three times - thats catch and release for you)

post-18-1186667158jpg

I overheard a guide at Plymouth aquarium talking about the GW. She said it was a load of b@ll@cks. It's caused quite stir on the beaches though. There were two false alarms where lifeguards called everyone out of the water, and then found it was basking sharks. Just like the movie.