Off Dancing Ledge

Mike Fox

It was a later than optimum departure on Sunday, but we had enough tide to get some ebb round from Poole as far as Anvil Point, then we pushed into the gentle flooding neap, with flat seas and BLUE SKIES.

Couldn't believe it - absolutely calm, no swell, plenty of boats on the distant marks, and our little hotspot was boat free. After catching a 13.5 lb thornback and a 24lb 10oz tope there last trip, hopes and expectations were high.

Anchored up in over 100' of water and the hook bit first drop. We let the boat settle then lowered whole squid and mackerel half fillets on three rods, holding with a mere 5oz of lead.

We thought we had it made, but we waited and waited. George had a couple of doggies while Carol and I wondered if this was the same spot. Then I had a tap on the rod, so picked it up and held it, feeling the soft gentle pull so characteristic of a doggy. Struck firmly, pulling it clear, and the large bait clearly wasn't quite swallowed, so lowered back down into the same spot. This time a firm knock, so leaned into it, and the rod doubled over. Clearly no doggy this one - hopefully a blonde ray.

It took line, then more with a steady pull, so clearly no tope. It felt heavy, really heavy, and I realised it was taking a lot of line. The 30lb class Ugly Stik was doubled over, so tightened the drag further and further on the TLD15, until full over. Even then line was being pulled off, so I decided to wait it out. All indications were something large, ponderous and heavy, but the drag did its trick, and I eventually managed to get it clear of the seabed and moving slowly upwards. Twenty minutes after hooking it, and after two long dives for freedom, I saw a long white shape in the gin clear water, and I slowly pulled a conger to the surface.

All other rods had been cleared, the net and gaff readied, and as our cockpit is quite small, it had to be a single-handed catch and land with this one. I popped the gaff over the side, and pulled the leader to get the eel close to the boat where it started spinning slowly, and I waited until its chin was just over the gaff, and lifted smartly.

Unfortunately the gaff point slipped off, and snagged the trace, allowing the eel to back down into the depths.

Well, it was a good eel. I've caught them to 55lb in the past, and plenty in the 30-40lb ish size, and knew this one had to have been at least 30lb, but I guess I'll never know for sure. A cracking fight and a fish returned, so all not lost!

In some ways, it was quite lucky. Our yacht just isn't designed for fishing, and this would have filled the small cockpit, and could have been quite dangerous until subdued (I have the cutlery and the technique!). I guess I shouldn't have been mentally preparing marinades and lighting imaginary barbecues!

Well, we tried for more, but the tide by now was running at over 2 knots according to our paddle wheel log, and the leads were getting too much to handle comfortably, so we called it a day there, trying a few more spots on the way back - for future reference at least!

Chatted with Mad Mike who we had seen, but their day didn't seem much more successful - both of us having a shortage of mackerel.

We'll be back!

Mike, Carol and George

Edited by Mike Fox

We were off Swanage Bay Mike F was further West yet we still heard the poor guys anguished cry as the eel nose dived for freedom. "Oh bother, don't you just hate it when that happens" echoed along the Jurassic cliffs. Mind you I do think he had a point about a 30lb eel thrashing about in the cockpit!

Any way our day. Well is was great to be out again and the weather was as mike said warm and only a ripple. We had a biit of luck with mackerell catching 4 on one drop which was enough to give us a days sport. Bites came almost as soon as the anchor bit in. The fish were all beautifully coloured Red Gurnard. I never realized that Gurnard were a shoaling fish?

The rest of the day was marred by ever increasing tide and LSD's, some of which fought really well doing a good imitation of something bigger but by about 3pm we were using 2lb leads to reel in 2 lb LSD's and the wind was now a steady force 5 luckily with the tide so no nasty waves but a lumpy old chop never the less. upped lines and after a little trouble getting the anchor to trip we started home. 50 yards later the sonar went mad with blips at 12 foot, so wh chopped the throttle and Mark had a drop for Mackies, bang! 4 on together. then nowt for another 10 miutes so we came on home.

The Merry Fisher keeps on amazing us, as I said a lumpy chop in the F5, but she rode them majestically with 4000 on the rev counter and 22 knts. Nary a bang or a crash she rode them magnificently with white spray and the odd lump of 'oggin bouncing off the cabin. Inside? Warm, total dry, and with the patio doors shut very quiet.

So fishing? The pits. Traveling? Fanbloodytastic biggrin.gif

Mad Mike & Mark

Hi Mike - saw you thundering out this morning, and returning regally this evening. I see what you mean by those high bows being reassuring. Looked very comfortable too.

Am impressed at your shoal of gurnard! Have taken one or two over the years, and they are superb eating fish (foil parcels, salt, pepper, butter and white wine!).The colours are vibrant, and the tub gurnard with tinges of blue in their fins are even prettier, I think.

Our sonar hasn't given any evidence of mackerel at all yet! Maybe no mackerel - or just not "tuned" properly. Any advice Mike?

Mike

Edited by Mike Fox

tuned" properly. Any advice Mike?

Our sonar is 'tuneable', I do not profess to know how it works, but one can get it to look for ickle fish, medium fish (Called Doris Stokes), and big fish. When set on little it scans and reports everything, but as one goes up the scale it filters out the small stuff (ge'filter'fich) and only reports on the big ones. So I wonder if your sounder is set or fixed to report only larger fish than joey mackies?

Other than that blame George or the wife! laugh.gif

Mad Mike

Nice one Mikes

This moring I was at work listening to the Yachties moan about no wind for our three sailing events.

Made worse when I sent a Rib out into the Bay to be told it was 2 to 4 knots variable.

I knew some lucky lads would be making the most of a calmer Sunday, glad you had a bit of sport biggrin.gif

Charlie

Mike, having passed you on the way out of the harbour and suggesting fishing much the same area I finally decided to see what fishing the St Aldhelms ledge might offer.

Absolutely loads showing on the fish finder at about 20ft below - but couldnt get a take, so I suggest it isn't mackerel. We caught mackerel sporadically and put them in the live bait well.

Having anchored up in 100ft of water with a vertical ledge just behind the boat rising up 40ft it seemed like a likely spot.

One rod down with a whole live bait - another one down with a large fresh fillet......

waited-waited and not a bite. Eventually something took the fillet and headed off up tide and just hung there - rod bent double - occasional shake of head - gain some line - loose some line - PING - leader knot parted. Probably a Tope - Big, but will never know.

Tide picked up and we decided to pack it in - stopped on the way back to try something else and found woof central.

So back to harbour for Gilt Head bream - only one came out to play and it was very small.

Nice to be out - still experimenting with boat and marks - tomorrow off to Utopia

(on a Charter Boat) hopefully will do better than the trailaway boys!

Neal

Hi Neal,

Good to see you out there. A great spot to fish - if uptide of the overfalls! I believe there's plenty of conger and huss on there, as well as tope. Did you check your chart/plotter for the holes near the Ledge? They look superb spots to drop a large bait.

Your Arvor 25 looks superb - and very distinctive!

Mike

Neal,

Firstly sorry to hear about the lost fish; I am always gutted when this happens as it's a dead cert the lost fish would have been (1) a new PB (2) a new club record (3) a great photo opportunity!

Re these schoals showing I have experienced this with 3" scad. Switching to small hookais and shrimp rigs can get you some great live bait! The mackerel are below them as are the bass........you can bet on that!

Re these schoals showing I have experienced this with 3" scad. Switching to small hookais and shrimp rigs can get you some great live bait! The mackerel are below them as are the bass........you can bet on that!

Thanks for that Duncan, it has been puzzling me that we see fish right across the sounder screen yet nothing on feathers. I have not live baited for bass before but are you suggesting and have no live bait tank, but your saying that it would be a good idea to have a set up ready to hook a Joey onto as soon as one is caught?

If so I need to go search the club archives to see how this live baiting lark is done.

Mad Mike

Mike,

Either drifting with live a Mackerel in areas where you find bass is a great way of catching the larger specimens - you would be surprised what size of bass will take a whole mackerel.

The other option is to offer a live mackerel below a float - kept down with a 1oz ball lead.

You don't need a live bait well if you are catching mackerel in the same spot as the bass are feeding - but that is not usually the case - so you need some way of keeping them alive. A bucket with an aerator (and a lid!) will suffice for a short time.

I simply hook the mackerel with a 4/0 - 6/0 hook in through the mouth and out of the top of its head and drop it down on a 10' - 15' flowing trace - with enough lead to get it down to the bottom.

Their have been quite a few articles on this in Boat Fishing Monthly and Sea Angler in the last 6 months.

The bigger problem is locating the Bass.

Neal

Mike...get yorself a blue bin, and I'll knock u a tank up...I have spare kit here. Mine works a treat and charlie gives it the thumbs up.

For the pocket scad, if you have any of those mini shrimp rigs I sent you for the herring.........cut them down to threes or fours.....and use them. Scad are reasonably hardy, and will last longer on the hook than mackeral.........you may also like to try ini wrasse or pout/poor cod. Enough secrets matey!!!! If you want more mini rigs...give me a nudge chap.

Rich

Mike, have a search for the thread I did on making the livewell last year.....and procure one of them, as space on your deck is ok. Bigger the better, with a good circulation of fresh oxygenated water will ensure bait is tiptop chap.

Also.........another top tip.........whack on either red ball weight or a mini pirk....I'll post pics of mine on another thread when I make some more up, and you will see your catches increase on the feathering, be it for Launce, mini wrasse, poor cod, macky or Mini scad. These are also the fish that you should be drifting across ledges with for that old elusive Bass!!! wink.gif PM me your telephone number, and we'll natter chap.

blink.gif rich why do you invite him out on nipper and show him and at the same time you can give him all are marks aswell tongue.gif .

mark b

Spoken in the true spirit of friendship and co-operation, that's what the club is all about Mark....... Isn't it?

Just pop an X on all the fish you feel are yours and I'll not fish for them.

Mad Mike

Mark is very possessive about his ticktacks, he once lost one between the car seats and has never recovered.

Mark mate chill out I have all the notes I need on the way you fish, spy plane U2's over Porland. Dark men in dark cloaks slipping through the shadows placing miniturised cameras the size of 3 atoms in your tackle box.

Actually it's a bit of an insult to suggest that I would want to be on your boat after all the trouble I have been to to stalk you. I mean it's not as though I would play around over a matter a serious as this laugh.gif

Mad Mike

PS Trust no one, paranoia is OK ph34r.gif