"awol" 48 Hour On Tour

Maverick Martin

Thanks for the report Martin - a bit of a baptism of fire for your first channek crossing eh? Well done though - I must admit I was envious all weekend of you guys, esp when Duncan cut me short Sat morning to net a turb!!

Bad news on the engine, I hope she can be sorted without too much pain....

Hi Martin

We had all been awaiting the report form the other side of the channel

Bad luck with the engine mate

I have just returned from the seawork show and was talking to Mermaid marine about your engine

I picked up a couple of cards for you

One from Cecil Snare MD at Mermaid and his finace director Jo Palmer

and the other was for Dave Okey

The Sales Manager for Steyr motors at Mermaid 07976 257114, give Dave a call and mention me if you are stuck for repairs.

I will leave the cards in the car and try and remember them on Sat. If you want them earlier pop in

8.5 knots from Guernsey is a killer. did it save much on fuel??

The boat I used to work on only did 10 knots and we crossed to the islands several times a month. sad.gif

Cheers

Charlie

Met Ben a Marine engineer on the boat today. He had already adjusted the fuel delivery rail on his last visit and today he brought the laptop. Connected it up entered the software programme and smiled. This is your fault as he pointed to a very expensive looking piece of both mechanical and electrical orientation. He took it apart and fiddled a little put it back together and bingo, sorted.

It turns out that the part is boost sensor that is connected to the turbo thingy. This tells the ecu what pressure is being delivered, without this info the ecu thinks something is amiss so only gives half the available power to save the engine, very clever but annoying all the same.

As an aside Ben asked me to quickly fire her up just to test and wow what a difference his efforts had made. Until now when starting from cold I had to crank the engine for several seconds before she would fire up, today she started instantly. Also normally we would have some grey smoke whereas today there was none so I am well happy.

Asked Ben for the bill and that made me even happier, well impressed with him.

It just goes to show that it pays to use the right people for the job in hand

Martin

BTW Charlie yes please I will have those contact numbers off you still, Thanks

Great news martin - back over next weekend then! But at 30 knost this time! biggrin.gif

It's always a big relief when the problem gets sorted with a small big... engines can be expensive things and the sinking feeling you get when it starts playing up aint nice....esp 60 miles from home.

Channel hops in sailing boats can be slow. We generally pop the autohelm on, and the excitement is the hourly chart plot, the terror of the shipping lanes, and generally enjoying the journey with binoculars watching gannets and shearwaters. It's a great unwind at the start and end of the holidays!

We started our holidays last year with a trip to Guernsey from Poole, taking around 12 hours, and running out of fair tide at Beaucette Marina in the North of the island, where we had a calm night in a disused quarry - still the only marina I've ever been in that's 70 feet deep. Angling was banned in there after locals were caught gutting large bass and pollack on the pontoons - caught straight down! Apparently, theres a couple of rusting cars in there, full of conger!

You did the right thing Martin, slow but sure.

Mike

Glad its sorted mate, I will bring the cards

My mate in the office had an engine failure 20 miles out on sat

It took 10 hrs to sail to poole in dying winds until he gave up and anchored at old Harry for the night.

He must have some patience

Mind you at that speed at least you could fish wink.gif

Charlie

Felt more like 180 miles on the way back

I imagine!

" I spy with my little eye something begining with W..."

" Water?"

"Nope"

"Wave?"

"Yep, your go..."

You didnt fancy trolling a few lures then just in case???

I must admit the thought did cross my mind. It was rather boring but as dad said we did manage to confirm the position of three wrecks for which we had numbers and surprisingly all were spot on and located first time. One of them was huge and all three are en-route to the islands so they will be getting a taste of my plastic! hopefully in the not to distant future. biggrin.gif

Its always nice to know your numbers are accurate and your not going to be spending ages to find the thing before you wet a line.

Edited by Deep Sea Dean

Hi Dean

If I can I always like to check them out prior to wanting to go there to fish.

Nothing worse than having a keen crew onboard and steaming up and down looking like an idiot staring at the fish finder, then missing the best part of the tide

I had two sets of numbers recently from a dive boat, the first came up as if there was a buoy on it and the second I have never found [black Pearl I think ph34r.gif ]

I look forward to getting out there searching later this summer biggrin.gif

Charlie