Tope on Thursday!

Adam F

Just returned home from a hectic day's toping with Jimbo. biggrin.gifcool.gifcool.gif

Headed out about 3 miles off Anvil at 7am this morning - early start, to catch the 1st slack. Mackeral were scarce but not impossible and in about an hour we had 30ish.

The action came thick and fast with tope hitting the baits before they got to the bottom on occasions!, double hook-ups were common, and one one occasion we had all 3 rods in play at once - we darent put down more than one each!!!

Tackle ranged from 50lb class gear and 2.5lb of lead at the peak of tide, to 6lb class and 4oz on the slack - great fun!!! biggrin.gif

We had over 30 fish, biggest went 24lb 40z to me! biggrin.gif

The day was almost perfect!, only being blighted by getting my annchor caught in an unmarked pot off dancing ledge - I tried to motor it out for over 1/2 hour with no luck. Finally I went to cut it, only to realise the hook wasnt stuck, but in a pot! It took 3 of us to lift the beast, it also made me feel like slashing the bloody thing with my filleting knife, no bouys, no markers, just a run of freshly baited pots!, Bassturds!!! mad.gif

Im off to bed now though!, Tired, sunburnt and an aching groin - no butt pad you see!!!! biggrin.gif

2.5lb of lead - jez how much tide was running? You were in around 110 / 130ft I guess from your position info but that's a hell of a lot of lead and I am going to have to get some bigger ones as 1.5 is the biggest on board currently!

Sounds like a lot of fun though.

Nice to join you out there at the end of the day Adam

Shame that we were an hour late and missed Slack. but nothing could be done about that.

Thanks for the mackerel to get us started. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Sods Law that as soon as we had baits down and put feathers over we caught plenty. wink.gif

We had a few tope to about 15lb and lost plenty more, they were biting a bit shy at times, but we also had 3 rods going at once which is fun when there is only 2 anglers ohmy.gif

The 42mtr hole we were fishing in had some nasty sharp bits in it and we lost several good fish when the line parted just after setting the hook or on the strike. mad.gif

The leader or the braid came in very frayed,

I was getting fed up with it by the end. more for the thought of fish being left trailing the traces than losing the gear and the chance to play the fish.

I have a day off today so was thinking of staying out, but as Rich is working and the tide was still running hard at 2330 we called it a night.

By then we had lost all the 2lb leads due to the sharp bottom.

I had a nice Blonde Ray of 19lb on my uptider just after you left as the tide was getting going. It was hell to get to the boat in the tide, but went back OK after photo's. [The uptider went away after that one]

A good mark, I think a few eels would have come out at Slack Water in the dark.

I expect we may see you out there again before to long.

Tight lines

Charlie biggrin.gif

What A day biggrin.gif I had a great time out there.(thanks adam) It was nice to fish pastures new,with rod bending action all the way, but adam managed the biggest ..(this time! dry.gif ) but I made up in numbers with 11 tope my biggest went 19lb and mark had a new pb of 24lb 8oz

We also did ok when we popped in to danceing ledge to escape the tide, we had a couple of nice spotted ray, mine went 3lb 8oz and adams 3lb 12oz and mark managed a cracking wrasse of 4lb 20z!

Well done on the blonde charlie, I was secretly hopeing for one all day ,(Im still yet to catch one!) cant wait till the next trip.

james

Charlie........thanks for the evening out, thouroughly enjoyable. Sorry about the delay.............you know how it is when work gets in the way!!!!! At least I'm getting the hang of using the net now! Great fish, by the way, nice to see it go back, and of course, a PB Tope...............even if it was collected on your rod wink.gif

This week sometime???????? Will cook up some lead to replace the lost tackle!

Cheers again Charlie, regards...............

Rich