Notices To Mariners - Poole Harbour

Paul D

It seems 10 knots means many different things to different folk. Aparantly if you have a big tupperware boat it's slightly less than the british water speed record. Or if you are a charter skipper it's the maximum displacement hull speed +10% so their wash is at critical wave hight for any boat within 10ft (the distance they usually pass by). On the other hand there's the bloke who in a narrow channel on an ebbing tide who goes at a slightly lower speed than steerage way for any one else and then screams at you 10 KNOTS if you have the timerity to pass him so you can actualy get steerage and gain control of your direction.

Mike

Try Christchurch! - Its just 4 knots there.

Here we have a right mixture! - The huge oversized gin palaces that cant actualy go 4 knots as they are churning mud all the way, and block the main channel regardless. We have the 3' ribs with an 8 year old driving and a 90hp OB - doing about 40 knots past everyone, outside the channel - 'young and carefree (careless?)' We also have plenty of rowers to remind us of the speed limit, lest we forget - '4 KNOTS!!!!!' They scream!

Plus others, and their are many.

One evening james and I are quietly mullet fishing, and we hear this roar of a huge V8 in the distance - looking over we see a 30/40' offshore powerboat almost flat out in 3' of water coming up the harbour! - 4 knots??? Hmmmm more like 50!!! - as he went past he was a greying middle aged chap - mid-life crisis???!!! tongue.gif

Nowt so stranger folk!

I was heading a convoy of boats coming into Xchurch harbour on Sunday, doing the prescribed 4knts with the sun in our eyes.

I missed one of the bouys and everyone dutifully followed me. Funniest thing I've seen was the bigger boats scrambling out of the mud and back into the channel.

One boat had another boat tied to the side of it to tow it in. Coming round the corner into Wick he had taken the port side of the channel and suddenly met a 30ft boat coming the other way piloted by a woman. The poor lady didn't know which way to turn. She couldn't go to starboard 'cus it would have taken her onto the river bank, and couldn't go to port because of the other boats (who were on the correct side of the channel). And apparently, neither boat could stop. So they did a bit of jostling, like a rugby player trying to stop an attacking forward, and tried to veer out of the way but they made contact with a heavy glancing blow. The guy towing the boat was nearly thrown overboard. The woman just carried on as if nothing had happened. Twas the guys fault though.

biggrin.gif Women drivers, say no more!!!! biggrin.gif

The harbour on an ebbing tide, weekend, sunny about 5/6pm is not a plesent place to be really can be mayhem down there - not like 5am on a sat!! when everyone is still in bed - 25 knots all the way! biggrin.gif

Coddy

Its coming up to our silly season, when all these people come here from away, think they can do as they please and disrupt our lives completely sad.gif The least they could do is learn the rules of the road/sea and be courteous. And all thats on top of a few idiots that already live here rolleyes.gif

Oh when are you moving down? laugh.gif

Martin

Hi

We were house hunting all last week-end mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

Last house we looked at seemed almost right ......... ALMOST!!!!!

In an area called Marley??? between Poole and Winbourne I think

Weather was great and went to Weymouth saw sea conditions and the outlaws said "why didn't you bring your boat down" smile9.gif

As if the FPO would allow that!!!!!

Still I have the whole of the Bank Holiday down at Hayling at the IAC Fish In so that should be good as I am getting withdrawl symptoms as it has been so long since I have been out on the boat.

Still we have to sell our house before we can consider buying so it just a waiting game sad.gif

Looking forward to a few trip outs sometime this year however.

Regards

Cod