Great White - Friday 7th May

Bob F

Went out with Charlie and Rich on Great White yesterday evening.

We we armed with frozen hermit, rag, squid and frozen mackerel.

The plan was to hit the Whitehouse Grounds for Bream and smoothies, but things didn't go as hoped.

First stop was a small wreck just west of Ballard. Only got wrasse and pout. Then steamed over to Evans Rock, but nothing put dogs there, so we moved out to the Whitehouse Grounds to settle in for the smoothies and hopefully a few bream.

But the tide was much too strong. Struggled to hold bottom with a 1lb 8oz. We stuck it out for an hour but it was difficult fishing and nothing was biting. So moved back into Swanage bay and anchored up where a couple of charther boats had been earlier. Fished into the night until around 11:30, but nothing but dog city and pout.

The wind was really beginning to pick up, so we called it a night.

Really impressed with Great White. She handled the waves beautifully, just brushing them aside. You get spray over the top, but who cares when you're tucked inside the cabin, warm and dry. No slamming and a really comfortable ride. OK, so she doesn't do more than 10-12 knts cruising, but you arrive unbruised and ready for action.

Impressed with the Lowrance plotter as well. The track update seemed to be better than Mark's new Garmin. On Mark's 182C when you are zoomed in and manouvering around a mark the position arrow sometimes jumps and does a 180. Mark, I think this might be the update setting on your unit. I think you can adjust it so that it updates more frequently. Have a look in the manual.

Thanks for the company Rich and Charlie. Another nice night out.

cheers

Bob F.

Charlie............thanks for the trip out, enjoyed it thouroughly.

Bobs great at dogfish, he showed us the way. Best leave the top tip alone, untill the bream are really there!!!!! shhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Comfy boat, and I learned a bit too, all important for personal knowledge, sorry if the questions seemed silly, but I need to pick brains before taking the plunge.......thats when Debs allows!!!!

Cheers again, Rich

It must have been a bit lumpy out there Friday night, they were giving 7's when we came in at 3ish!!, paul J and I were up at the crack of dawn Friday to fish out of Christchurch on tara. hungry for more after alderney! biggrin.gif

We decided to try for a ray first and it all came good as I was soon latched into a good ray on my 7 to 12lb class rod!! on a launce left over from alderney. That was a thornback of 10lb 8oz ,then after a few drifts for mackrel with no success we tried for the bream and we had a couple, my biggest went 3lb, also managed a suprise scorpion fish. Then our trip was cut a bit short by the ever growing swell, It was a good 5 when we headed in sick.gif

Charlie can you add my fish to the book?

Thanks James

Thanks for joining me for a trip guys. really enjoyed your company shame the weather and the fishing was not better.

Glad you liked the boat

James the Thornback is now entered.

Now thinking of going after work on Monday as I did not get out today

Anyone interested call me tonight.

Charlie biggrin.gif