Advice

pegleg

Actualy may I make a request of the commitee guys on the back of this post.

How about making some rigs up (out of coloured line?) and laying them out on a table or two so we can have a teach in at an upcoming monthly meeting??

Seeing summat in the flesh so to speak makes it far easier to copy than the pages of a book.

Mad Mike

Jason, the basic rule for all terminal tackle is keep it simple. The more you incorporate in the trace, the more it is likely to tangle. For "scratching" rigs, which will be using size 4 or six hooks, tie a quick release snood clip, like a genie clip, on the bottom of the trace. This enables weights to be changed very easily and quickly, tie a good swivel to the top of the trace, this should really clip onto another genie type link on your mainline. This second genie will allow quick changes of rigs, in case hook legth snap, or become tangled.

Flowing traces are simpler. Use a hook on the point of the trace, then a couple of droppers up the trace, ending in a swivel, at the top of the trace. Put a boom on the mainline, tying a genie type clip at the end of the mono, this allows easy changing of rigs.

I'll post some pics when I have time...working too much at the minute!!!!!

Rich

Hi guys,

I'm probably going a bit over the top with my rigs that i make up. 60lb trace 20 - 25lb snoods, but i've just bought a couple of rods one 20-30 and one 30-50 and still looking for a 12lb rod and then i will downsize on the old rigs. Any recommendations for a 12lb rod ?..Thanks for all advice .........please keep it coming. Jas

I am a paid up member of the band that use the Fladen Maxximus solid C rods and think they are a great sporting rod. Even quite a small fish will put a very satisfying bend in it but I have also used it for cod and pollock on wrecks. They come in various sizes and, although the r.r.p. is

I hadn't realised you'd joined the 'wand wavers', Mike. Have you tried it yet?

Terry.

Oh yes indeed smile.gif I got mine about a month ago it's a 10/20 coupled with an Abu6500 Left hand wind and 15lb braid. It's a great outfit and feels so powerfull yet flexible. My fishing partner Mark was so impressed with it he asked me to look out for a slightly lighter one for him hence the new 8/15 one I mentioned. He will use it with a Fladen 7500 fixed spool (also off ebay

Jas, I would probably say that anything from the major manufacturers is going to handle most of what you want to catch. The blank forms the backbone of the rod, the rings need to be smooth and strong enough to handle the type of fishing you want to do, and the line of your choice and the reel fitting doesn't want to sieze up at the first sight of salt. If you look after it, the Shakespeare will probably give you years of service. Most of the rest is either refinement or flummery, or both. Most of us of a certain age can tell you about the equipment we used years ago which didn't compare to the cheapest kit about now and it still caught fish and gave us pleasure. Buy what you can afford and enjoy using it. If you make a choice, post on here and almost certainly somebody knowledgeable will give you an opinion. But not me.

Terry.

Jas, if you are just starting out, then my serious advice would be to get an ugly stick, 12lb class, that will set you back about 35 squid. couple that with an abu 7000 series multiplier.......see terry B or Alun J for one, load it with 15lb braid......see me for that wink.gif bang a 28lb leader on the end of the braid......and enjoy your fishing. From my limited experience, the ugly stick range will cover all your need sfor a few years, and the blanks are virtually unbreakable, they are advertised in the states as "unbreakable", although I wouldnt go quite that far.

Then grab an ugly stick 20-30lb class rod for heavier stuff, get hold of a TLD 10, or a second 7000 series, or maybe a second hand Penn 235 lever drag........that will do your lighter wrecking days, keep the budget down untill you are completely hooked.........then fill your boots on Ebay!!!!!!!!

Rich

I hadn't realised you'd joined the 'wand wavers', Mike. Have you tried it yet?

Terry.

Oh yes indeed smile.gif I got mine about a month ago it's a 10/20 coupled with an Abu6500 Left hand wind and 15lb braid. It's a great outfit and feels so powerfull yet flexible. My fishing partner Mark was so impressed with it he asked me to look out for a slightly lighter one for him hence the new 8/15 one I mentioned. He will use it with a Fladen 7500 fixed spool (also off ebay