How Does A Trigger Fish Bite?

Newboy

I was fishing the Ledge on Tuesday and hooked into something which got away.

It started off like a bream bite with the rod rattling. On picking up the rod the fish started to take line, but that was no bream, it took line slowly but continuously for a minute having already tightened up the drag twice. I was using light gear, Shimano crucial casting rod plus a conquest 200 with 12lb braid and 12lb f/carbon trace. In the end it spat out the hook and swam away.

It wasn't a bass, as it didn't take line quickly like a bass, I was thinking it might be a baby conger but some smart ass onboard reckon it was a trgger, as he'd seen one landed a few years back. The skipper was't sure as he'd never caught a trigger.

Any thought?

All the triggers I've caught have taken off like express trains......... much the same as bass & good sized bream.......... then they fight like charged up bream......darting speed with power but don't go far.

You'll see when you get one !!

Alun.

A good indication of whether your bait has been snaffled by a trigger, is the lack of hook left on the trace Kam, they tend to bite off weaker hook snoods. Once hooked, they dont give up easily, although I can say this as an onlooker, not captor, having never caught one this side of the Atlantic!!!!!!

Rich

Following discussions with Rich last night I think I may have lost a trigger off Ringstead on Saturday - bit and fought like a vicious bream and bit through the trace. After all Fred had a bogue which is another of our warm water visitors.

Mike

good place for triggers is durlston bay later in the year ;)also cuba fishing the reef on fly gear we fish for ocean going triggers and they go 20lb and they go like lester piggot being chased by the inland revenue biggrin.gif

OH YES INDEEDY biggrin.gif I had several freelining fresh prawns. Near Isla Medio Luna off the Cayos.

Strewth did they go ohmy.gif

Lost the first one then changed to a very fine wire trace and I was ok after that. The chef had given me loads of fresh squid and loads of prawns, so I spent some time chucking out chopped up bits into the tidal current. In the end it was a fish a cast and I never thought I could get that tired out fishing. Unless they got off you were into a good 5 min of hard fight each time.

Mad Mike