New Avatar

TomBettle

Well I didn't even know anyone had taken a pic of Quest II on our recent adventure in Alderney, but I had a very pleasant surprise with an email from Maverick this morning with a superb new pic of Quest II.

http://www.pbsbac.co.uk/photoalbum/displayimage.php?pos=-582

Thanks Martin, great pic of our baby wave jumping the wash of Tiger Lily, certainly beats the rather dull one taken by Mr "Lewis the Fish" last August.

Next time, can you make sure the fat bloke stood in the back is out of the picture! laugh.gif

This brings me on to the subject of boat pics.

Everyone loves a good pic of their own boat in action.

I have got a very good camera, Nikon D70 Digital SLR with 6.3m pixels (Paul D knows what it can do to the club website) and I have had a fair bit of experience being at the pointy end of the camera during photo shoots on boats.

Would anyone be interested in doing an hour, half day or full day on the water with a number of boats or even just two boats?

Each boat takes about 20 minutes to do a shoot and will involve approx 20 or so pics which can be put onto CD Rom. It involves me in a camera boat being driven by a skipper on a dead straight course and various hand signals by me to the boat being photo'd. Some shots will be very VERY close to the camera boat and needs a little nerve and no slowing or speeding up by either party, some will be high speed shots, some will be action shots wave jumping.

I am happy to oblidge on a free day just for the cost of the CD Roms.

Tom

Edited by TomBettle

Hello Tom ,

Count me in for the photo shoot as well please .

The very very close bit worries me a bit , i'm still a novice and i may end up a bit closer than you think ohmy.gif

Also the high speed and wave jumping , not sure if an Orkney Strikeliner comes into that category , but i will have a bloody good go .

Andy

Hello Tom ,

Count me in for the photo shoot as well please .

The very very close bit worries me a bit , i'm still a novice and i may end up a bit closer than you think  ohmy.gif 

Also the high speed and wave jumping , not sure if an Orkney Strikeliner comes into that category , but i will  have a bloody good go .

Andy

Crezz it really isn't as hard as it sounds.

The camera boat will simply move through the water at about 8 knots to start with and you will come and simply sit just inside it's wash right on the starboard quarter.

Then you will move out to various angles off the beam at slightly higher speeds.

Finally the camera boat will sit still whilst you do a few figure of 8's followed by a full throttle run straight at the boat turning away a few metres off.

That is how 99.9% of the boat magazines shoots take place. The benefit comes from a high level camera boat (flybridge) then you can get great water line shots and also those that seem to be taken from a helicopter (NOT - far to high budget).

The more boats the merrier. If we can get a few we'll have a good session out there. We'll need a pretty calm (or at least sheltered) and sunny day to get the best pics.

The pic that Martin has taken of mine was on a very calm day (look in the background), but it is a great action shot with the boat appearing to jump a wave.

Tom

PS: The other really nice style of photo is the "chilling out" theme, much like the one that Duncan managed to grab of Quest II on the same day as Martin's picture.

Two opposite extremes which we should be able to get both of during a short shoot.

Edited by TomBettle

This is sounding good.

So far we have:

Gordon H - Fugazi

Andy S - Slipalong

Steve Bockett - Sanderling

Paul J - Marine Boy

Terry Bartwell - Stingray

The more the merrier.

I get about 165 good shots (3Mb each ish) from the card in the camera so I may have to do two sessions if we get much more, but I reckon another 3 boats will do for one session.

I need to sort out the logistics of when and where.

Location, from ease of doing it, Poole would be best for me with the shots taken out near Old Harry (weather permitting).

I'll try and sort out a flybridge camera boat too (not guaranteed)

Please can those coming (and any others who wish to come along) suggest some convenient dates and I will try and work around you where possible.

All the boats can come out at the same time and tie to a buoy or anchor whilst each boat is being shot. I'll need you guys to take it in turns driving the / a camera boat whilst I organise where the boat being photographed needs to be.

Don't worry, you won't be expected to do any flash manouvers on either the camera boat or your own, mostly, just drive at a set speed in a straight line.

One we have shot all the boats we may have time to get a good one of you all running together side by side. Again it only works if everyone drives at the same speed in a straight line, but looks great when they come out.

Alright chaps: Room for three more on the first shoot.

Please suggest some times and dates.

PS: Someone could bring a video camera if they wanted to try and get some footage too?

hi tom if you need someone to come out and drive the camera boat and help out i would be more than happy to do it aslong as its after the 16th of june or in next week when i got half term wud be nice break from studying

sam

What memory format does the camera take Tom?

If so what's the largest card it can accomadate / read?

Duncan

It takes a flash media card, I think the same type of card that Navionics Gold uses.

It will take any size that can fit on one of those cards. The card I have is 512Mb.

I kow you can get them to 2Mb + nowdays.

Top notch camera, the only thing I miss is a really wide angle lens, but it takes great pics, even in Auto mode.

Tom