Rod Rings

plaicemat

Help! I'm having great trouble getting a new tip ring for my Fladen Solid C 10-20lb rod, which has shed it's liner. The size appears to be the problem, it being so small. It is a 7mm ring with a 2mm tube; I'm not too worried about the ring size being exact but, obviously, the tube size is fairly critical. I've tried my 3 local shops and no one can come up with the goods. I can get a 2.5mm tube but this would have to be araldited in as opposed to superglue and the problem would come if I wanted to repeat the operation.

Anyone got any suggestions or contacts in the rod building business. I've even tried Fladen but haven't had the courtesy of a reply.

Terry B.

Pack it out with a bit of nice whipping thread and continue the whipping beyond the tip to give personal finish.

Quick coat of epoxy will tighten it all up and levae it looking pretty where seen and very solid under the ring and the last coat of epoxy will hold the tip eye in place.

Tom

Only trouble with packing out and epoxy is that it tends to be rather permnent, i.e., if I need to do it again, I can't remove it with the same ease, if at all, as I could with superglue. That's why I'm trying for the correct size before I resort to bodges.

But thanx for the input.

Terry B. smile.gif

the obvious answer is to get a replacement tip ring from fladden..............you are on that so keep going.................

the bodge has to be a single neat whipping of thread; not overlength! Varnish/coat to seal then, after its all dry etc fit the ring with holt melt glue in the normal way. Worst case when you come to remove the ring the thread needs redoing but it will met all your criteria.

O/k everyone, thanx for all that good advice. I have to admit, I hadn't thought about hot glue and I have a gun in the garage. I've managed to get a 2.5mm ring and will fit it by that method.

Terry B.

Terry, hold your horses on the bodge job, I spoke to WAC yesterday, they are trying to get a replacement ring for you from Fadden, also, I spoke to Billy short who also has spares, I too have one, which may be small enough, PM your address and I'll send send you my Tip ring I have here, if it fits, great, if not, send it back.

You will regret bodging a tip ring, its probably the most important of all the rings on the rod!!!!

Rich

Thanx a lot, mate, your a star. I've been building and repairing rods for about 45 years and never had a problem sourcing rings before. My local stockists say they only go down to 2.5mm, which I find hard to believe. I don't like compromising on the end ring as it is the first in line from the fish and takes all the strain. I am therefore very grateful that I don't have to compromise. I have to say that I've never used my hot glue gun for this before. Just goes to show that we never stop learning.

By the way, I see you're in Weymouth. Do you have any connection with Weymouth Angling Centre?

Terry B.

I'm gonna be philosophical and I don't mean change my name either mad.gif

Reading all these posting about rod rings it has made me think how technical and science orientated things have become. My first ever fishing rod was one I made with two garden bamboo canes, bent paper clips, and those screw eyes that are used on curtain wire. The reel was a 1s (one shilling) ally' center pin and my line was 25yds of the then new monofillament. I was six or seven at the time. The reel was held on with elastic bands.

Now I know that these days we need the tackle we use to fish the places we go to, but I wonder if we get the same pleasure

Mike, I too had one of those rods made by my Dad, I was actually playing a 650lb Mako off Antigua on it when disaster struck. Realising that my fish was now under the boat, and that my leader was too long to actually see the fish, so whilst fannying around trying to wind in the last few turns on my almost spooled out cotton bobbin, the tip ring........which was obviously of too greater diameter for the flimsy section of last years bean pole from the bottom of the garden ,suddenly gave way, and alas, I lost the fish.

I was glad however that it hadnt been IGFA tested, as I'd have looked a right narna, stood before the committe with this rod. We all know that IGFA line is of specific line class strength, and silly old me, I'd only loaded the bobbin with black cotton........what a plonker!!!!!

I still talk about that one today, and we do have a chuckle at it!!!!!!!!! wink.gif

Rich

Mike I was simply going to post:

Old Git tongue.gif

,but I saw you had done it yourself, however I do agree, fishing was more fun as a kid.

Rich, in answer to your post.....

.... Old sh1t!!! tongue.gif

... I kinda recognised your story from somewhere?

I have to recount stories of ages gone by a I don't catch many good fish weep.gif

Tom

PS: Have I told you the one about.......?

Edited by TomBettle

mad.gifmad.gif Mr Swain, How dare you cast aspertions on my character? It is purely for business reasons that I enter said establishment. I have the ring at home me old marmite miner, when do you want to collect or shall I run it up mate. PS I have your bits from WAC in my shed so less of the abuse. Truly yours, the honourable BB rolleyes.gif

Billy, cheers Budweiser. I'm now off untill at least next thursday, so will no doubt see you soon. I'm fishing with that old shirt lifter and Reading supporter......(who????), Mark Beasant on monday, and would like the rod before then. So expect a visit either sat or sun chap.

Cheers chap.

Rich

• 4 weeks later...

Just to finish this topic off, many thanx to Billy and the Rich postal service, the appropriate rod ring has arrived and the rod is now as good as new. I'm now looking forward to using it to good effect and hopefully the replacement will last longer than the original! The power of PBSBAC and it's helpful members.

Job Done!

Terry B.

Edited by plaicemat