Bass Minimum Size Limits & closed season

Bob F

Another article in the NFSA report is that BASS (Bass Anglers Sportfishing Society) are campaigning to increase the minimum landing size (mls) and to have a closed season for bass from Dec 31st to Mar 30th within the 12 mile limit.

More information is available from Bass Restoration Chairman Steve Pitts on steve@pitts18.freeserve.co.uk

Bob F.

Just looked it up. BFM June 03' p.15

Cod 40cm minimum

Bass 45cm minimum

The final comment was ' Maybe a small drop in a big ocean, but every long march begins with a small step'

Could PBSBAC do our bit?

Adam

Adam

This is a subject that could be discussed at one of our meetings. We are free to set our own size limits although at the moment we abide by the sizes laid down by the NFSA.

My own personal opinion is I would rather members kept smaller, legal size none breading stock than take the larger breeding fish.

What does everyone else think?

Martin

Adam

This is a subject that could be discussed at one of our meetings. We are free to set our own size limits although at the moment we abide by the sizes laid down by the NFSA.

My own personal opinion is I would rather members kept smaller, legal size none breading stock than take the larger breeding fish.

What does everyone else think?

Martin

I think I'll have to agree with you on that one, as it is the big fish (4lb +) that breeds, each big fish we take, there are one less fish to breed.

Martin,

Was only discussing the same this morning. I shall be returning any large Bass I catch this summer and keeping only the smaller ones. ( Assuming I catch any big ones smile.gif )

Bass are extremely slow growing and by replacing the large bass we are replacing breeding stock. Replacing small bass and the odds are lower they will survive to breed ( netted etc. ).

I also agree to putting the "big old girls" back ,A big bass can be almost as old as its captor ! I think they have urned there right to go back for just dogeing that many nets!! And not getting caught by me of course!!! dry.gif

I kept the first double I caught but got so much More satifaction from putting them back.Thats its for me back they go!!

Not being an expert on the subject, but reading other forums, my understanding is that the larger the hen fish, the larger percentile bodyweight of eggs is laid, there fore the larger fish are our best bet for stock maintenance............and............I havent got a pan big enough for a fillet from a double!!!!!!!!!

Regards.....Rich