Burnham-on-sea 12th March

Adam F

Hi guys

As a matter of interest how do they launch the boats?

Do you start the engine and drive it off, push it off the trailer or am I missing something here?

Also recovery, do you beach the boat or circle around until the trailer is brought down to the surf?

Do we need to mark the trailers with the boats names so you get the right boat on the right trailer.

With 14 club member's boats plus the Burnham's boats there will be a large number of trailers around.

Coddy

cool.gif

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Launching :- The tractor takes boat and trailer to waters edge, crew member will have waders and boat is pushed off trailer into water. ( Crew member stays with boat while trailer is towed back to top of beach ( you get to hang precariously on the tractor ).

Trailer is parked alongside others ( mine is easy to ID as it is not a common Indespension one smile.gif ).

Retrieval: Beach the boat into the mud and jump out with waders, then go with tractor to collect trailer and winch onto trailer as per normal. Tractor will then tow you back up the beach.

It is very well organised and in some ways easier than retrieving at say Mudeford, because you beach the boat into mud as opposed to rocks and stone.

PS; The sand gets everywhere ( I will try to dig out the picture of Neo post-Burnham ! )

Just heard from Dick at Burnham - he says the long range is 50/5- at the moment, they have struggled for cod this year, but their are a few around - thornies by the bucketload though!

Fingers crossed for the weather.

I spoke to Rich the other night and said that the boat wouldnt be ready and i was doubtful as my steering was buggered, even though he still done his best to tempt me round with the report of the number of thornies he bagged last year.......Anyway I go to football on Sunday morning, and when i arrive home, theres a complete new steering system fitted by my good mate Edd when I return so the boat is now ready!!!!!

I can go........wahooo.............

BUT..........after arriving home, I decide to take a trip to casualty as ive taken a bad knock in the mornings game......the Xray gives me a broken ankle, im now in plaster for 6 weeks, cant drive and defo cant get it wet, so no fishing......

no luck for me now and its just after a week after I cried off a pike trip as i was feeling like $hlte.

Dan you tart, whats a bit of plaster mate.

Just go back to casualty and have another one put on when it gets wet.

Only joking mate, i no how you feel. Spose we'll have to try the steering out when the weather warms a bit and theres a few fish to catch round our waters.

We'll have to go on the organised next trip out.

Dom

Dan......don't be an old shirtlifter. Whack a bucketfull of poly bags round it, and get competant crew, and come fishing. Theres enough hands on shore to recover the boat, and Dom can drive you down.

Back in the old days when men were men and women were glad of it, a small prob like a bruised ankle wouldnt keep a good angler ashore wink.gif

No, seriously, hope it heals well for you, and that we all have a great day, eat a huge fat boy breakfast, manage to keep it down if the going gets rough, catch enourmouse fish, win huge cash prizes, and generaly have a fantastic time fishing with our friends from B-O-S. I heard that Marks boat can now give Martins a run for his money across the briny, can't wait to crew it.

Rich

I just happened to go to Somerset today and had a look in at Burnham. ohmy.gif

I think you would call the water somewhat coloured! huh.gifhuh.gifhuh.gif

Looks interesting I hope the weather holds and it does not turn Northerly as I read that the surf kicks up then.

See you all at Tesco's rolleyes.gif

Coddy

cool.gif

Kam,

No need for Alderney ring I would say, but I will still have mine rigged I think but will not steam the anchor out in 6 ft of water this time smile.gif

If the depth is 6ft I will steam over top of anchor and lift it out manually. If it is high water then will probably be around 30 ft at the same mark. ( That is what the tidal height difference is like ).

When you get to the slipway, walk to the end and take a look at the tidal height marker - awesome !

Been looking forward to the trip for weeks now.

PS: Metcheck said snow forecast for Sunday, which I thought was strange and then I realised that I was looking at Burnham ( somewhere in the extreme north ) as opposed to Burnham-On-Sea. Temperature forecast is much warmer at this one smile.gifsmile.gif

I still havent found a place for Peter Russell Snr - I have a few maybe's who Im waiting to hear back from as ideally Id like to place him on one of the bigger 18' ish boats. I have asked him to come anyway - well squeeze him on somewhere, but of you can take him please let me know ASAP.

Ill put an uodate re. the weather on here tonight once Ive spoken with Burnham.

Cheers

Adam

TRIP IS POSTPONED UNTIL LATER DATE - TBA

Apologies for the lateness, but we were hoping for an improved forecast at 5pm - it hasnt come and whilst there is a small chnace we could get some fishing in it is a long way to go to turn around again - far better we thought to wait until another day.

I have a few dates that I will check and post for the reschedule.

Adam