New boat fever

Bob F

BW may also be on the market after Xmas - the only decision left to make (and its a big one!) is whether to stay trailing or go for a mooring. Decided to leave the Souter 21 I recently saw - for the condition it just wasnt worth the money.

Anyway a brand new Aquafish 23 without engine appeared this week - 9995.....swayed me the other way again! Either this or the bigger 175 Warrior...decisions, decisions! biggrin.gif

Thats it in a nutshell Adam

Decisions Decisions

After a lot of miles in the car and at sea we have made ours biggrin.gif and gone for a 30ft Offshore Pro Charter on a stern drive of about 240hp, she will have enough room in the cabin for all that we need to go away on her biggrin.gif , plus of course plenty of room on deck

I have put on a photo of me by a simular boat in Weymouth, but ours will be white

A lot more hours and a heap of work will be involved fitting her out but I am afraid a fully fitted boat would not be in budget.

So it was build another one or stick with the present one.

The Great White has been a great boat, she can take any weather and is very economic to run and maintain but we have outgrown her now the boys are so big.

I will be sad to see her go after getting so much fun and more than a few fish on her. weep.gif

Charlie biggrin.gif

post-10-1133721893.jpg

What a smashing boat Charlie and Sam. I bet you get hours of fun fitting her out too, I know that I enjoy that part of boat owning very much. It makes the boat more part of you so to speak.

Will you be boatless whilst you are fitting out? If so I would be happy for Sam to give me some more Bass fishing tips on ours.

Have you thought of a name for her yet?

Mad Mike

really nice lines Charlie - I am sure the boat will do everythign you are hoping and may well represent a good investment approaching it the way you indicate.

personally the only reservation I have about it would be the engine - I am guessing that the boat will weigh in at around 4000kg (or more) so I would be looking at engines in the 300 / 320hp bracket running on a sterndrive. If it was semi keeled SD hull with a shaft then 240 could be geared for 18/20 knots fast cruise - and would be fine but a fully planning hull on a drive would benefit from a few more horses at that weight.

however, having researched it more thoroughly, it ceartaily looks as if 240 will do the job and deliver good performance - around 26 knots cruise capability seems realistic from the numbers being banded around the manufacturers site and is certainly 'enough' !

You should be able to get a good deal on the Yanmar unit with either the BII (bullet proof) or BIII (v.efficient) drive because of the current developments and looming emmissions regs (that it won't meet!). However the retail mark up is significant so sourcing it will be key! There may be quite a few deals to be had given current developments - but they are unlikely to be direct retail ones. I suspect that ordering through the manufacturer may be a good option.

I wonder if this will end up your boat - just out the moulds...........

user posted image

Nice one Charlie - Great White Too (Two) (II)?????

I too have had a good look around the manufacturers site, and looks good.

You must have a substantial garden to build a beast like that at home! When do you expect to start / complete her?

Those trips to the ripp and channel islands will no longer been out of range! Look out club records!

I look forward to watching her progress - dont want to pry too much, but would making a superb link for the site to have a 'building diary' like Chris and Pat have on Deepsea so we can watch the progress of her being built?

Adam

Nice idea Adam I may get Sam on to that, he knows the score because he checks Chris's site all the time.

In fact the factory were setting up a webcam system so that customers can keep an eye on progress when we were there last.

It will be a bit of a squeeze on the front lawn but at least it will stop the grass growing, biggrin.gif she should be ready to collect by mid Jan. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Rich is that scaffold still available?

Thanks Duncan, I knew you would be on top of the technical research. biggrin.gif I have had some interesting quotes for engines [well below retail] but none have beaten quotes via offshore [Yet}

The current GW needs to go to finance that bit.

The picture looks like my new toy as she is facing that direction I expect you have done your detective work very well, where abouts on their site is that?

Thanks for the support guys, of course for the longer trips we will be looking to take crew to maximise fishing and spread costs. I expect we will get volunteers biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Charlie

for the longer trips we will be looking to take crew to maximise fishing and spread costs

how the hell does that work? rolleyes.gif

I thought that

1. the more people on board the less rods I get to fish, let alone the sudden lack of space for my gear.......... sad.gif

2. anglers are generally heavy, and they all bring a weight bucket, so more anglers means more weight means worse fuel consumption....... sad.gif

blink.gif

duncan,

i think it is nicer to fish with more people wider knowledge and all that, and it would be nice to take people who would not always be able to go that distance in there smaller boats, and it would help me and daniel to learn things that we did not already know.

re name - just stick to Great White; absolutely no need whatsoever you can't name her the same unless you are going for Pt 1 registration and there is already a Great White there - the former I doubt?

just my opinion etc etc but 2, two, too, II etc always seem a bit naff...........

re name - just stick to Great White; absolutely no need whatsoever you can't name her the same unless you are going for Pt 1 registration and there is already a Great White there - the former I doubt?

just my opinion etc etc but 2, two, too, II etc always seem a bit naff...........

Sam / Charlie

Call her anything you want

Tom of QUEST II !!!!! unsure.gif

Great White Eliphant

Great White House

Great White Hope

Great White Man (Bwana!)

Grated White of Egg (Scottish one)

Great White Sauce (Assuming you will have a cooker?)

Mad Mike

Or............

GREAT WHITE ONE

..........for confusion!

Alun.

PS. Is there some ' I've got to get a new boat ' FEVER going around ??

Think I've got a few symptoms too!!!............a bit like being seasick but on dry land!! ........... queasiness at possibility of spending lots of money [ then trying to justify it].

Perhaps it's just the short days, miserable weather and too much work.

A.

Or............

GREAT WHITE ONE

..........for confusion!

Alun.

PS. Is there some ' I've got to get a new boat ' FEVER going around ??

Think I've got a few symptoms too!!!............a bit like being seasick but on dry land!! ........... queasiness at possibility of spending lots of money [ then trying to justify it].

Perhaps it's just the short days, miserable weather and too much work.

A.

Alun

The queasy feeling is my attempts at trying to cast a hypnotic spell over you through cyberspace...

... You do want a new boat, you do want a new boat, you do want a new boat.... blink.gif

Must see Tom, must see Tom, must see Tom.... blink.gif

Big discount on lovely boat, big discount on lovely boat, big discount on lovely boat blink.gif

blink.gifblink.gifblink.gif

tongue.gif

Right that should do it.

I can put my feet up with nice cuppa and wait for lot of fishermen with glazed expressions to walk through my door with their cheque books out.

..... unsure.gif not sure can get away with this at today's sales meeting and whether the boss will agree that my new leads list includes 120 hypnotised Dorset boat anglers, but I sall give it a bloody good go unsure.gif

Tom tongue.gif

nice to see so many excellent suggestions - clearly highlighting how great Great White was/is for Charlie's boat rolleyes.gif

Tom, you are of course the exception that proves the rule. Only hero's go on Quests; and true superheros have to go on more than one! laugh.gif

nice to see so many excellent suggestions - clearly highlighting how great Great White was/is for Charlie's boat rolleyes.gif

Tom, you are of course the exception that proves the rule. Only hero's go on Quests; and true superheros have to go on more than one! laugh.gif

Duncan

I somehow lost the first Quest to a bloke in Essex somewhere.

Quest II is great, but I am still not sure what I am searching for..... unsure.gif