Conger Trace Line.

blueboatdriver

I have 100lbs b/s line in my box. Is this heavy enough for serious congers? I ask this because I was in my garage just now and noticed the reel of line for my garden strimmer. It looks to be at least 200lbs b/s but does anyone think it is up to the job seeing as it is obviously not made for angling? It does feel very strong though.

thats a secret seen as the comps sunday biggrin.gif

100lb should be fine, it is have never proved wrong with us the thing is if you go to heavy you cannot break it out the wreck and end up losing everything.

if we do start getting beaten up by heavy fish we change to a 300lb line with 12/o hook and the buggers have no chance of getting off.

i like to fish light sometimes using 60lb line it seems to stop me from bullying the fish to much and learning how to play the fish more.

but on sunday i will be taking no chances and will be heavy all the way.

because i bet you can guess what are plan will be and for what fish.

sam

post-5-1132848384.jpg

100lb should be fine, it is have never proved wrong with us the thing is if you go to heavy you cannot break it out the wreck and end up losing everything.

given that I always seem to be using traces significantly stronger than my mainline I am not sure how not using 'even stronger' ones is going to help me break out of the wreck any easier?

using heavy gear like 30lb mainline braid you could stick a short section of 25kb mono between your boom and a trace swivel I suppose but on balance I think I will stick to keeping any possible weakness out of the gear adn accept the odd weight and boom as a price to play........... mad.gif

all the best Sunday Sam - I have agreed with your dad not to try and race you out to your favorite wreck..... rolleyes.gif

I wouldn't use the trimmer line if I was you. Although it's mono, but they are made of difference materials, they break alot easier. Just thhink how easy it is for the line to break by hitting the guard of the trimmer..... blink.gif

I would agree with Sam, I tend to fish slightly lighter, I just don't like some skippers insist on 150lb mono for conger and 100lb for ling, for pete's sake, average ling size down Weymouth is around 20lb..... mad.gif

One advantage of using 200lb mono is that you don't have to change the trace everytime you caught a fish, sometime if I'm really lazy or in a comp for number of conger caught, I would just bait up using the same trace and chuck it down.

ah now I am begining to see some light........

One advantage of using 200lb mono is that you don't have to change the trace everytime you caught a fish, sometime if I'm really lazy or in a comp for number of conger caught, I would just bait up using the same trace and chuck it down.

I haven't changed any of my winter traces since the day I made them - most are on their 3rd year.

I take it this is not how I should be doing it........... sad.gif