Was I on my own ??

alun j.

Not at all Spring - like yet !! ..... possibly the coldest day I've been out this winter, due to that windchill..... force 4 N...... 3-4 C feels like -4 C !

Water temp. at its lowest....... 1.4 C at Mudeford 9am.,,,,,,,, out in the bay , just above or below 5 C.... [ this is the 'surface water' ..... about 1/2 m. down where the sensor is] ....... coldest I've recorded all winter

Out all day.......escaping the chores ..... tried 4 marks...... with similar lack of success:

* Ledge - doggies.....slow but steady........dogged action.....soon bored !!

* Barton ...... wind - assisted drifts....... baited spoons/ beads..... 0 !

* Lookout ...... " "" "" "" "" 0 also !

* dropoff .... last hour.... scorpion fish.... interesting tiddlers !! but the sun came out , the wind dropped a bit and everything looked wonderful ;

feeling the increasing warmth in that sun ......... washing the boat down at 6 it was still light; spring can't be far away and this cold snap will soon be gone !!

Wonder why I didn't see not a single other boat fishing !!!

Next week..... must stick to gardening... [ that's why I went out...... ground was frozen !!].

Supplies of frozen whiting fillets rapidly depleting..... will I have to buy fish soon?

Alun.

Hi Adam ,

Did you stick a thermometer in the river?? Bet it was cold as well as being much clearer than of late . The river water tumbling out of Christchurch harbour was only just above freezing this am., plus remains of snow / ice on margins.

You did well to catch anything !! Did the afternoon sun thaw you out; what aspect was your swim facing ?? Could have been pleasant/ sun trap ??.......unlike at sea!

Alun.

No thermomiter, but stuck my hand in a few times, bloody freezing (is that a scientific reading???!!!)

wind was on my back biggrin.gif Sun was in my eyes mad.gif snowed mad.gif Rained mad.gif a bit of sun biggrin.gif , but was stood in the water in my waders all day, so over all pretty damn cold! sad.gifmad.gif

Thoughts of shorts, deck shoes, and sun tan lotion plus hungry bream bass and smoothies kept me alert all day though!

Sounds like a true...... sea fisherman at heart ...... salty dog ??

Also prefer shorts, bare feet and the warm sun on my skin !!

But DO NOT want to move to Spain / France like the missus seems to !!

Blue water = poor fishing ....... I'll stick to our green stuff!

Alun.

ph34r.gif Managed to get out on sat , tried afew marks off of swanage but nothing to shout about only doggies, then came across to b/mth pier tried a few drifts on the wind to see if any sole about nothing doing, very nice in the sunny sheltered spots but freezing in the shady area's!!!! still it was still light at home time which always makes me happy to think of longer days fishing. cool.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Nice try Alun

If the master cannot catch, what hope for the apprentice?

Faired a little better than you on saturday, had the warm sun on my back as I turned the corner into the garage.... it was minus 15 in the freezer, but still returned tired but happy, with a few bream to show for my efforts. Had to chip them off the ice, Not big fish, but to my astonishment they were already filleted, bagged and labelled......last of the autumn...

mmmm !

Sinbad.

Just goes to show that a man can last without most things for a month or two, but not fish or boats.