electronics upgrade

stepho

hi all i am thinking of upgrading my electronics on the boat. i have looked around and it has come down to raymarine axiom+ or the simrad equivalent i leaning toward the axiom with quantum2 q24d radar has anyone got any thought on pros and con on either your thoughts would be helpful many thanks john 

Hi John, I have fitted an Axiom+ 9RV to my boat. I’m happy with it. That said, I have nothing to compare it to as this is my first fishing boat! Only thing I would say is that a pure touch screen can be a little difficult to operate in rougher seas. I now understand why the Pro Axioms also have knobs and buttons, as well as touch screen functionality. Finally, the 9in screen can be a bit on the small side, so I only use it either purely Nav or fish finder mode. I find split screen is too small to be useful. Well for myself anyhow. Hope that helps. Kind Regards Pete

7 hours ago, stepho said:

hi all i am thinking of upgrading my electronics on the boat. i have looked around and it has come down to raymarine axiom+ or the simrad equivalent i leaning toward the axiom with quantum2 q24d radar has anyone got any thought on pros and con on either your thoughts would be helpful many thanks john 

Hi I upgraded last year with an Axiom pro 9inch with knobs and the radar with quantum doppler. I have had a couple of issues but still think it's the best, best to have a registered installer and make sure you register your warranty and get the extra warranty.

The best by I have made recently is the navionics mobile phone App on my which can link to the unit £34.99

22 hours ago, Tarlach. said:

You should take a long hard look at the new garmin equipment. The active captain app is great for downloading charts and software updates then Bluetoothing onto the unit. Very easy to read and use too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the 4 year old garmin (I hate it) that i have on my current boat is far worse than the raymarine i had 10 years ago in all functions, but it looks like garmin have upped their game a bit. Not before time.

the 4 year old garmin (I hate it) that i have on my current boat is far worse than the raymarine i had 10 years ago in all functions, but it looks like garmin have upped their game a bit. Not before time.

What model do you have? Ive got twin networked GPSmap 8410's with 4k radar and AIS800. I think they're great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gpsmap 702 series. all i have is nav and sonar. It has been nothing but trouble. Plug connections corroded out, GPS regularly takes hours to start working. Sonar is a real pain to get any useful imagery.

I really liked the raymarine dragonfly sonar. i found its performance the best of the sonars i have had. Playing with the settings enabled reasonably accurate identification of fish, even down to bait fish schools.