Driftlining For Bass

Jack the Lad

Happy Bank Holiday everybody.

The bass are in our estuary (Lougher) and I understand some are being caught drift lining.

I'm thinking of using live sandeels and Storm Wildeye 6" sandeels when live not available. Anybody had any luck with the Storm eels?

What is the best way to rig them; live eels and Stormies ? ie. leader lengths, how many swivels, hook sizes, amount of weights - should it be bumping the bottom etc etc etc.

Should I try small live mackeral - when they arrive here? What rig?

Any 'hot tips' to help me get these bass hooked?

Regard me as totally ignorant about drift lining from a boat ; which I am !!

Should I try and reduce boat speed by dragging a light anchor astern?

Please tell me your secrets biggrin.gif

Cheers - Jack

Simple is best, zip slider or small boom, bead, swivel with a trace of flourocarbon or non memory mono, hook size to suit bait 2/0 - 4/0. Hook live sandeel through the mouth and out of the gill then just nick your hook through the skin of the belly. Weight will depend on depth of water, tide etc but you will soon know what suits your area. Joey mackerel are brilliant just hook them once through the mouth. Stormies are good fish them as above on a trace of 4/5', try fishing them sink and draw or twitching.

Also look at our article on Bass

Martin

helicopter or portland rig

snood length to tide - shorter slacker

yes to mackerel

no to slowing the drift

Hi Duncan,

Appreciated you abbreviated reply - caught short wink.gif

Your last two comments are within my vocabulary the first two comments might be from another planet or is it something to do with air sea rescue on the Bill.unsure.gif

I've done the usual google thing with helicopter and portland but ??? Are you drifting with the weight bouncing the bottom? Is it better to have the snood how far off the bottom?

You obviously have the knowledge; but I need more clues.

Please amplify when you have the time!

Cheers - Jack

Simple is best, zip slider or small boom, bead, swivel with a trace of flourocarbon or non memory mono, hook size to suit bait 2/0 - 4/0.  Hook live sandeel through the mouth and out of the gill then just nick your hook through the skin of the belly.  Weight will depend on depth of water, tide etc but you will soon know what suits your area.  Joey mackerel are brilliant just hook them once through the mouth.    Stormies are good fish them as above on a trace of 4/5',  try fishing them sink and draw or twitching.

Also look at our article on Bass

Martin

Thanks Maverick,

That's my language - I understand and appreciate.

Cheers - Jack

ah Jack Jack..........

Google? perfectly good search engine on here m8!

Portland rig and details here

When the tides running hard then a long trace/snood is great - when it's slack it's a liability especially with something alive on the end!

sorry for the abrieviation - poker game was getting a bit warm!!!!!!!!!!!

good fishing

Jack,

The Storm Sandeels are pretty hot, too.

I used them whilst fishing the Portland Race. Adam was using a Storm Shad and I was using the Storm Eel. It was about a 3:1 hook up ratio for the Storm eel.

They can shred quite quickly, though.

I also used the Portland Rig, which worked really well, but make sure you use a weak link to attach the weight. The tactic in the Race is to bounce the weight on the bottom as you drift with the tide. If you are not on the bottom you will not catch. But you run the risk of snagging the weight, so make sure you bounce it, rather than drag it. If you do get snagged the weak link will snap but you will save the lure. The faster the tide the better the fishing. And fish the down tide side of the ledge. This is where the bass are, waiting for the sandeels to appear out of the tumble drier caused by the tide rushing over the ledge.

Note that Paul said IF you are in less than 20ft of water...this doesn't mean that bass will only be caught in less than 20ft, so don't restrict yourself to this. Use a free line rather than a wieght if you are in a location less than 20ft (like around the Kimmeridge Ledges).

BF

Jack, be mindfull of the diferent sizes available. Ive found that stormy eels ahve out fished any other lure mid channel on our last visit to the legs, 24 miles south of the needles, I caught 11 pollack, the rest of the boat caught 3 in total!! They work very well for the bass in tide, although i havent had much success in slack with stormy eels. I even caught a 2lb 40z gar on them in a comp last year, so I'm converted, and always have em in my box of goodies.

Rich

Jack

A couple of packs for me to

Let me know how and where to pay

Martin

OK Martin - thanks.

I think I'd better try and conclude a deal with him on his Stormy sandeels and see how many packs I can get at this price.

He also said he can do me a very good deal on Stormy shads so I'll try and get a price out of him for the Shads and see how much good a 'good deal' is? . I'll let you know .

Cheers - Jack

The best price Ive seen in the UK is 3.99 per pkt for all stormies. I cant find the address right now, but, if you speak to Andy Selby @ Weymouth Angling Center,01305 777771, just ask him about a bulk order for the Poole Bay Small Boats club, I'm sure he'll come across with a good deal.

Rich

The best price Ive seen in the UK is 3.99 per pkt for all stormies. I cant find the address right now, but, if you speak to Andy Selby @ Weymouth Angling Center,01305 777771, just ask him about a bulk order for the Poole Bay Small Boats club, I'm sure he'll come across with a good deal.

Rich

Would one of you who knows Andy Selby give him a ring to find his best price on the sandeels and shads before I conclude buying elsewhere.

Please let us all know price so we know where to buy.

Cheers - Jack