Dinghy Fishing

jack

Following Plaicemats enquiry in another post .I would like to ask if anyone out there knows any camping/caravan site,private or commercial,where I could stay with my campervan ,and either wheel or carry my dinghy to the waterside [sea] in order to fish.An estuary would really be the icing on the cake. I have done Scotland and parts of Wales,but really anywhere in G.B. would be O.K......jack dry.gif

Good Morning Jack

Later this year I will be camping at Wear Farm caravan park/campsite right on the banks of the River Teign Estuary, South Devon. Have never stayed there before. Should be a few of us with kayaks and boats down there this summer. Will be going late July.

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?revid=2779 this link has reviews on the site with contact details.

Simon

Thank you Simon. My mum&Dad used to stay at this site,year after year in the 70's and I had forgotten all about it.Wonderful location.I used to stay at Shaldon on a council site which has now gone,Fishing in the 90's was great..Bass and flounders mostly. Be sure to tow fishing gear if you get to the entrance and the sea beyond,which I am sure you will. cheers...jack

Hi Jack

Can not recall the name of the site but it is close to Wareham and the river.

Bit of a treck down stream to Poole harbour but would make a great summer evenings cruise with a can/bottle of your favourate tipple and drift a line/float in the water.

The rest use your imagination wink.gif

If you facncy a longer trip I can recommend Felixstowe in Suffolk.

Coddy

cool.gif

Thanks Coddy,I suspect you might mean Redcliffs ?, Believe it or not I kept my boat on a bankside mooring there in the mid-sixties. Once again I had forgotten all about it [This is what happens as bits of you, iether drop off ,or become addled. ]My wife and I will pop down and have a look during the week,I bet there will have been a few changes there ! .But could be ideal for a bit of "floundering" about....Perhaps you could let me know about Felixtow. PM me ,if it will be of no interest to other memberscheers jack

Jack,

There's a Camping and Caravan Club site in Norman's Bay (nr Hastings?) that backs onto the beach and has a small slip. Never been as the slip looked too small for my floating palace, won't be cheap as its C&C and its open sea not estuary.

If you are happy to go just a little way, the Fishery Creek site on Hayling Island is OK, that's where we'll be this weekend (02392 462164). Nice site, small slip that lets into Chichester for about two hours either side of high. There's rumours of giltheads in Chichester ph34r.gif

Steve

Adam,

Potential club record there I think .... ( There doesn't seem to be any entry for Gilthead bream ).

Last year the guy who collects the fees for fishing in Portland harbour was saying how they were catching Giltheads in the harbour ( can't remember the exact spot )

Presumably the whole of Portland Harbour is in club waters ?

I've caught the odd gilthead just over the bar at the entrance to Christchurch, Sept. time; fight even better than black bream and 'tastier' from the pan... shame there aren,t more [ less common than triggers ].

But perhaps they are on the increase ???

Alun.

Kam,

If I am not mistaken, myself and Mike had a few ( very small ) red bream last year in the Solent. Shame we didnt weigh one as I think that is another "open" club record.

If you mean me Mad Mike then we certainly did, and my wife also foul hooked one that was slightly smaller than the hook.

There used to be dirty great shoals of them around Brownsea Castle, all about 8 to 10oz.

Mad Mike