AXIOM +RV

Breakin’ Bass

Hi all, I’m currently looking at upgrading my GPS/Fishfinder (Raymarine circa 2004 C80 etc) for a Raymarine Axiom 9+RV set up. Does anyone have experience with this unit and more importantly would you recommend it?

I’m not sure if I would actually require the full 3D/RV experience or just downscan and CHIRP would suffice?

I’d further point out that as I only bought my 1st boat during lockdown I have no real idea of what is, or is not considered to be a good fish finder. Therefore any advice/recommendations would be most welcome.

Many thanks in advance 

Pete ( Breakin’ Bass)

Hi Pete,

Welcome to the wonderful world of boat ownership 👍

As for your question, I have no direct experience of the Raymarine kit, but I can suggest that for the vast majority of anglers, we do just fine with Chirp, Down and Sidescan views. It's easy to spend a lot of money quickly, chasing the next best thing in sonar imaging but I recommend you go for regular chirp/down/sidescan and learn to use it effectively. You'll find that it's perfect for 99% of our fishing here in the UK.

Thanks Andy, your advice is very much appreciated. Especially as the cost of stepping  up from Chirp type transducers to ones that provide the RealVision 3D is eye watering.  To be honest even if I could see the fish in 3D I’m still not sure that I could catch them 😂

Hi all, I’m currently looking at upgrading my GPS/Fishfinder (Raymarine circa 2004 C80 etc) for a Raymarine Axiom 9+RV set up. Does anyone have experience with this unit and more importantly would you recommend it?

I’m not sure if I would actually require the full 3D/RV experience or just downscan and CHIRP would suffice?

I’d further point out that as I only bought my 1st boat during lockdown I have no real idea of what is, or is not considered to be a good fish finder. Therefore any advice/recommendations would be most welcome.

Many thanks in advance 

Pete ( Breakin’ Bass)

Hi Pete

I had the axiom 7 3d on my previous boat. I wasnt that impressed by it to be honest. If your on a lake with alot of structure I guess it would be more usefull. In my opinion unless you are a super into tech and use and understand it to its full potential its just a sales gimmick.
I find chirp down and sidescan perfect for the type of fishing I do.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Hi Andyman110,

very many thanks for your comments. Interesting that you mention lakes and their associated   bottom structure as Raymarine certainly push these images in their sales blurb. Seen very little of seabed and structure.

Afraid I am a “tech tart” but sadly don’t have the understanding to go with it! I’m therefore grateful for the advice given on here. Simple certainly sounds like the way to go for myself.

Out of interest what fish finder are you currently using.

regds Pete  

Hi Pete

I have the Simrad NSS Evo3. It came with my new boat. Again packed with features i dont use, it does allow me to add things like radar, auto pilot which i dont currently have. Its a great touch screen unit and very easy to use.

It all depends on your budget, I guess your a bit like me start off looking at one thing and then get seduced by all the wonders that the tech has to offer .

Good luck on your purchase

Andy

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Thanks Andy,

just taken a look at the Simrad NSS Evo 3 blurb. It’s a very capable MFD. Unlike the Axiom it has the dual user interface as opposed to just touch. I’m now mulling over whether or not I’m going to need this. On balance however as I don’t intend using the boat in very rough seas I think I’d get away with just a touch screen interface. I currently have my IPad setup onboard with the Navionics app and find I can operate that OK, even in a choppy sea keeping “one hand for the boat”.

Once again many thanks for your time and advice.

Regds Pete

Thanks Charlie.

As I'm new to boat fishing in and around Poole Bay I'll be using it to find new marks and more importantly, hopefully marks with fish on them! Initially I aim to focus on some of the easier to reach marks listed on this site in up to around 30m of water. Then once I've built up some experience perhaps venture further offshore to maybe the mid channel wrecks/bnaks.

Regards Pete