Have You Got One Of These 4x4?

Newboy

1) Mitsubishi Shogun/pajero 2.8TD swb or lwb.

2) Toyota Hilux Surf 2.8td

3) Daewoo Korando 2.9td

Thinking of getting one of these to tow the trailer, as the Passat struggles a bit on slipway.

I know the Daewoo is a Merc 2.9 tdi engine, same as their Sprinters Van, good reliable engine, although the look is definitely on the 'different' side. unsure.gif . Been told the nose weigh of trailer can be close to 100kg as it's a swb, a bonus as I'm concern. It can handle large caravan without any problems.

Both the Japanese td engine should also last for a long time if looked after. What I want to know is, 'How do they tow?' My trailer is about 1300kg. Do they cope well with a heavy nose weigh? As it's the case with my boat, most structure at the front.

I seem to remember Richard has a Hilux which is more or less the same, anyone with a Shogun/Pajero?

I've got a '94 3.0l Surf Auto and I think it's an excellent car.

As Paul says don't go near the 2.4... lots of head problems.

If you go for a Surf (Jap import) as opposed to a 4 Runner (UK version) you will have a job to find a manual, they are nearly all automatic.

I bought mine direct from Japan, 12 mths ago, and not had a single problem with it.

Check out the forum on the site that Paul linked to above, there are a lot of experienced surf owners post on there.

Be wary of the dealer who says that he hand picks his cars in Japan... hardly any do!! Mostly they buy them at the dockside auctions in this country, Southampton, Bristol etc.

If you buy from a dealer who claims to imort himself, ask to see the Japanese Auction Sheet... if he hasn't got the original or a copy then he didn't import the car himself.

See attached pic.

The auction sheet will show the condition of the car when it entered the auction house in Japan and will show the mileage (kms)... strangely this isn't always the same mileage as when they end up on the forecourt over here!!! wink.gif (This advice applies to Pajeros as well)

Most surfs tend to suffer from 'saggy arse syndrome', it seems that the factory fitted rear springs were never quite upto the job. Uprated springs are readily available and you might want to budget for

post-9-1115452659.jpg

Kam,

Whilst not on your specific list I have a Toyota Lanndcruiser Colorado 3.0 TD manual and found it a fantastic tow car for the boat. Boat + trailer came in at around 1600kgs (more when heading off with family for self catering holidays!) and it hauled the rig from Loch Lomond to Plymouth, Brittany to Med Spain without any noticable wear - let alone issues.

If your going for an auto then check it has, or fit, a transmission cooler. Most don't come with them some do. You WILL need it if your towing any distance/weight. Its very easy to boil the trans fluid.......I've done it on more than one occasion!

Personally I prefer a manual for towing.

If your going for an auto then check it has, or fit, a transmission cooler. Most don't come with them some do. You WILL need it if your towing any distance/weight. Its very easy to boil the trans fluid.......I've done it on more than one occasion!

Which one of the 3 cars are you refering to? Are you implying all 3 will needs it?

Kam, if you have the budget, I would vote for the Isuzu Trooper, Bighorn, this vehicle tows the weed cutting boat, which weighs in at around 2.5 tons, with ease, and is possibly the comfiest 4x4 I have driven, it out strips my HI-Lux, Dads Land Rover, and various Shoguns I've driven. The torque on it is tremendous, well worth a look.

Rich

Surfs have transmission fluid coolers fitted as standard.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone know someone good ( local)that can l tweak my surf to make it run cheaper?

My turbo tends to whistle a bit and this may be be contributing to low mpg, the fuel injecters probably need cleaning also.

Im getting 170 km out of 25 litres

Paul J

Guest Fellow Surfer

Anyone know someone good ( local)that can l tweak my surf to make it run cheaper?

My turbo tends to whistle a bit and this may be be contributing to low mpg, the fuel injecters probably need cleaning also.

Im getting  170 km out of 25 litres

Paul J

You can add some vegetable oil, 20 litres for about

Im getting

PJ you may want to de carb the fuel system with Redex or something. I used 'somethin'clean (can't remember the name, I'll have a look when I finished work tonight)bought on one of the shopping channel last year on my passat, the fuel economy went up (better) by about 20%. On one long journey to Scotland and back, motorway driving I managed something like 65mpg.

On one long journey to Scotland and back, motorway driving I managed something like 65mpg.

Just done a long motorway journey in the X-Trail - averaged around 38 MPG which I thought was not bad given I had run the car in on the way up and considering my average speed on the way back unsure.gif

Anyone considering getting one I can fully recommend them and they are good off road ( took it throught the forest to Kielder water ) and well comfortable to drive on the motorway.

Kam, gummimg up of diesels is a consequence of not giving the diesel a few revs on occasion ( or running them on vegetable oil ! ) - you need to bring out that boy racer streak in you laugh.giflaugh.gif