Outboard Help

Guest Kaptin Kod

Guest Kaptin Kod

Hello,

Having a bit of trouble with a 60hp 2 stroke out board and wonder if anybody has an idea what the problem could be.

Stating up she runs a dream to the pontoon (500 yards) turn her off load boat and lucky to get 7 knots. run for about 1/2 mile and stop for locks and again on restarting she is fine again, fished for a few hours and again she ran fine yet after anchoring up for about 5 hours could not get any speed but you can feel now and again where she tries to build up and dies back down again. went back into the lock and switched her off and on restarting she flew.

Have cjanged plugs, fuel tried turning her off and restarting mid journey but nothing seems to help. Any ideas what I should be looking for?..

Thanks in advance

Not sure of your exact problem, does it reach it normal working speed from time to time, or does it only become sticky when you give it 1/2, 3/4, full throttle?

If if runs smoothly at low rev, i.e., little throttle, I would bet it's a fuel issue. Have you look for kink in the fuel line, or have you change the inline fuel filter lately.

I'd go for fuel/air.

Have you checked that the air vent on the fuel tank is properly open and not gunged up with muck? It could be getting starved of air and causing a vacuum. When you turn the engine off the vacuum has time to release and allow air back into the tank. When you start she's initially ok, but as the vacuum builds again the engine is struggling to get fuel.

Worth a look.

Bob F

Guest kaptin kod

Thanks for all the advice will check it out and report back, think I will change all hoses and fuel filter and see if it makes any difference.

Hi Kaptin kod

I hope you sort your engine problems pdq. and if not keep asking those questions.

Why not register in the forum, it costs you nothing to be a forum member and so long as you dont clear your cookies you would be signed in automatically each time you return.

Also makes our figures look good ie the more registered members the more popular we seem to be wink.gif

Thanks

Martin

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest_kaptin kod_Fisherman

Finaly think I've found the problem, engine runs fine on initial startup, wait 5 mins and start running she dies off on revs and cuts out. Tried getting a mate to pump the primer bulb while running and shes came back to perfect running.

Will fit a new diaphragm into the fuel pump and hope it works.

Hi

I would also check the fuel lead and its connectors.

If you can borrow a spare it is an easy first check, and check the fuel tank vent is open

Charlie

Hi have done that, seen the video and worn out the tee shirt and watched the tank shrink in size! unsure.gif

Best part is letting the air in again and seeing if it retains the original shape ohmy.gif

Coddy

cool.gif