Garmin GPS to PC lead

Bob F

Bob, can you wait untill the next meeting? Like a muppet I was thinking it was tonight, untill Martin kindly pointed out I'd be on my own!! You missed the chance of a wind up there Martin!!

I was given one, a Garmin GPS to Laptop lead, by Garmin Europe, before I set off around the states three years ago, and I haven;t used it since, so you are welcome to borrow it, and circulate amoungst other club members who may wish to use it. If itsurgent Bob, I'll post it this afternoon.

Rich

I know its a different system to plotters, but I took my laptop along with me, using my Garmin GPS 2 Plus unit along with world map discs, which showed every road currently usable across the whole of the states. This also allowed me to place waypoints/sites of interest........wasnt read only. This was also given to me by Garmin Europe to use and try out, used in cinjunction with their GPS unit. Would it be that Garmin and lowrence units arent compatible......?????

Rich

Hi Colin

What software are you using for your lowrance?

I use Map Create 6 which came with my plotter to transfer the info from my user card to a basic map

If we were in USA then the background map would be almost chart quality but over here it is very basic.

I have emailed Lowrance and they have no intention of changing that, they also confirm that the info on the Navionics card can not be downloaded to the mapcreate. [shame]

Even though the background is very basic .I still find it good to transfer the info saved to my user card to the PC.

It is quicker to add waypoints via the PC keyboard and then save to the card and load into the plotter. than to add them straight to the plotter.

I can also edit some of the info on the user card quicker on the PC.

Incidentally I never put the Navionics MMC card into the PC, formatting will wipe its memory and render it scrap.

Charlie biggrin.gif

Adam,

The Garmin one is indeed read only. However, you can get a card writer a RAM card and buy the CD with all the maps on, then write the map to the writable memory card using a PC. Of course costs you more