Abu reels

alun j.

I've been sorting through my tackle and found I have far too many reels !!

Several are brand new in box, never used. Some I bought on ebay to replace ones I thought were worn out........ but, on servicing, have been restored. Also have some lightly used secondhand....... 5000 , 6000 and 7000 size.

Before I post them on ebay, thought I'd give club members a first shout.

If interested in a reel for the coming bass / bream fishing PM me and say which size reel and I'll reply with what I've got.

The TLD15 is much bigger than the 7000 - if they did one it would probably be about 8000 sized. It has much bigger gears and a bigger spool capacity.

I would say the TLD15 suits rough ground work and light wrecking - if you want a reel for heavy wrecking then go for the TLD20.

I have one of each if you want to look before you buy.

Adam

what do you call heavy / light wrecking last week i saw 20lb + ling saftly boated by a total novice with a new fladen solid carbon rod(the light one)an a penn 525 i found my 15lb ugly stik and 2000 charter special equally good tld 20 s etc are realy only needed for anchoring for conger where big leads etc are needed

I agree with Pete

Its all down to horses for courses. wink.gif

I have reels here that were the normal gear years ago, 6/0 loaded with 50lb Nylon.

But they have not been afloat for years.

In deep water for conger over wreckage and off of places like Plymouth, Weymouth and the Channel Islands the power to wind big weights from deep water was required. Even if it was just to make refreshing baits less of a chore.

Most of the time now, I use no bigger than my TLD 15 or Calcutta 700 even when congering on a wreck or tope fishing in the deep holes.

Even the boys use no heavier than 30lb test rods and TLD 15 or 20

The Club record conger was caught on an uptider ABU 7000 and 18lb nylon. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

So IMHO there is no real need for "Winches" in most of the local areas.

Take your time, enjoy the fight let the clutch do what it was designed for and you should get your fish. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Tight lines

Charlie biggrin.gif

Peter, Charlie, I agree with what you state re, these reels, but when fishing in larger tides off the Wight, we sometimes have to use 2lb of lead, coupled with a heavy- ish bait, the 6000 sized ABU's just aren't up top the job! My charter special is fine, but I'm looking towards mid channel wrecks....and bigger tides....closer inshore, so I guess that the 7000/TLD15 or 20 will suffice.

Comments appreciated.

Rich

Hi Rich

I tend not to use my 6000's for any of the deeper water stuff, bream and plaice and Club species comps only

if drifting I will use the 7000's and also for uptiding due to their casting qualities.

But at anchor downtiding then the lever drags are my Favorites.

Its only the deepest water that would get the 6/0 back out, or maybe a proper Shark trip for big fish.

Charlie