Friday 25th

Adam F

After a very kind invitation from Andy and Jack Prosser, I headed out on Pal-O-Mine, and Arvor 25 for a spot of congering today.

The weather couldnt have been better, the winds died all day leaving glorious sunshine and smooth seas.

After the problems Andy and Jack had a few weeks ago finding the wreck and loosing an anchor I offered to come along and try and advise a little.

We found the wreck pretty much straight away, and it looked to be holding a few pollock. After a few fishless drifts the tide was dying away, so it was down with the hook to have a go at the conger.

Unfortunatly we only had 180' of warp onboard after loosing a bit the other week, seeing as the wreck lies in 110', anchoring was going to be very tricky - I motored a decent distance uptide to aviod the wreck and down went the hook.

We were OK for about 20 mins, then we started to slip - yep, you guessed it - straight into 15,000 tones of steel! With such a short warp - retreaving the anchor with the buoy was also next to useless. Anyway after about 10 mins the wreck cut the warp of for us - so it was back to drifting.

Personally I really enjoyed taking the skippers role on such a big and lovely vessel, we had about 20 drifts and dispite plenty of takes only landed 2 pollock. We then came into the back of St Albans where we found a pot buoy to latch onto - but with it being so early in the year, we soon called it a day.

Sorry about the anchor chaps, but thanks for a lovely day - nice boat and good company.

PS: When you do replace the anchor and warp, Id recommend a full coil of rope - about 450-500'...on a boat of that size and esp. when on a wreck it gives you much more flexibilty and is also safer.

Regards

Adam

sorry about the anchor guys.

i was down scrubbing the antifowling of the boat and was thinking i would rather be fishing.

adam are you thinking of heading out on sunday i really need to get out again if you are i'd love to crew or anybody else for that matter.

im going away monday for 3 days so it would be nice to get out sunday for a few hours if anyone fancys a wreck trip

sam

Hi

Sorry to hear that another Anchor got away, those rusty bits get damn sharp.

I had exactly the same problem last summer, the anchor slipped into the wreck while I was "discussing " the parentage of a dive boat skipper who insisted on diving the wreck I was anchored on.

After a bit of Humble Pie one of his divers freed my anchor for me.

The scope for anchoring is between 3 and 5 times the depth, I am afraid with the scope you were using holding bottom was very unlikly. I agree with the others that you really do need to carry a full coil [220m]

I would still have thought that the alderney ring method of retrieval would have worked, steeming the anchor out into the tide, as you would have a bit of space to start moving before the lift started. was the anchor rigged to trip out?

Bet it was a lovely day to be afloat, as Sam said we were busy rubbing down the old anti-fouling and Cleaning the topsides, but would rather have been fishing.

Tighter lines next time

Charlie

Yes Folks we did it again,anyone know a scource of anchors,wholesale,bulk buy,2 for the price of one, ? or anything similar.We had it tripped properly,but never having found the wreck before,I think we did'nt realise how deep she was in.Still,we are heading for some sort of club record with 2 anchors.etc in 2 trips.at least we kept the anchor bouy,thats a bonus.and I still havent caught a fish yet.Was a very nice day out,and thanks Adam for your company and assistance.