SIFCA Reporting Suspicious Activity

Rob

13 September 2016,
Reporting Suspicious Activity

Southern IFCA (SIFCA) utilises a risk based approach to prioritise its compliance and enforcement activities and intelligence that is collated from a variety of sources that reflect current issues ‘on the ground’ that together maximise the efficient use of resources and help to reduce crime.

As the additional ‘eyes and ears’ of law enforcement, you can report suspected illegal fishing activity within the District by contacting SIFCA on 01202 721373 or by sending an email to enquiries@southern-ifca.gov.uk  Our Fisheries Officers will be pleased to assist with clarification of the rules and follow up on reports of suspicious activity.

Details of the local rules and regulations can be found on our websitehttp://www.southern-ifca.gov.uk/byelaws  Other national regulations also apply, for example, the current bass nursery area legislation that can be found herehttp://www.southern-ifca.gov.uk/other-regulations

Fishing rules are often complicated and this reflects the differing management needs of the areas to which they apply. For example some forms of netting traditionally take place close to the shore and are perfectly legitimate. 

Although we encourage the reporting of illegal activity, members of the public ashore (or in boats) in the interest of safety should not put themselves or others at risk or harass commercial fishermen engaged in fishing and if in doubt give us a call for clarification.      

I've had a reply from IFCA.

Hello Mr Runyard

Thank you for informing us of the error on the website. The EU legislation overrides the information in the leaflet but we are unable to change the wording as that would be changing the original legislation. I have temporarily added notes to the webpage and a link to the DEFRA page that gives details of the change. If this is still confusing I will remove the individual leaflets.

Please leave this with me and I will endeavour to find/provide a better leaflet.

Regards

Debbie Vivian

Finance and Administration