saturday 19th

Sam

headed out today on neo as crew and with blue warrior who also had gordon on board to the shambles for the plaice and turbot.launched from weymouth slip and headed through the harbour following tiger lily.

on the way paul decided to dispose of his glasses over the side so we now had a half blind skipper who could only just see about 5 metres on front of us

drifted different parts of the bank all morning without a fish not even a bite, nice and flat but alot of heavy fog [ could only see about ten metres each way could hear boats but couldnt see them] paul decided to have a go to see if there were any launce about [giant sandeel] to use for bait, i wasnt to sure if this would work then he went and caught two that shut me up.

the weather started to pick up carried on drifting the centre of the shambles producing two plaice 1 for me and 1 for paul but that was it.

we had a couple more drifts and then decided to move in and try for the big wrasse, had a couple of bites but didnt come to anything. went in to meet adam who was fishing the hood with gordon.

we headed in after this and i put the boat on the trailer.

thanks for a great day paul and nice boat smile.gif

o yer when we were fishig paul thought he could see four boats white ones and i was looking and i could not see them then i realised, because he didnt have his glasses he was actually counting the seagulls laugh.gif

thanks paul for a nice day

nice to finally meet you gordon

tight lines

sam

BW's Day:

Dave - a collegue from work who runs a Warrior 195 from Weymouth wanted to tag along, they only use the boat up to 2 miles from shore as are not confident in heading to the Shambles, so I suggested they tag along and watch how its done (supposedly!!)

The fog was a real pea souper - 50 yards max vis all day, and cold with it too - I guess it didnt get about 3 or 4 degs all day at sea - while you lot were basking in 20 deg sunshine!!

The plotter really showed its worth as navigating in the mist was worse than at night - at least you have lights to see then...

On arriving at the bank, Blue Boy (195) drifted alongside us, and after me showing them what to do they promptly landed a brace of 3lb + fish in 2 drifts!! They then had to leave, thanking me for the knowledge they sped off.

It was 1pm before we had the first bite on BW, a cracking plaice of 3lb 13oz to me - huge fish, but sooo skinney - would make a 5lber in the summer, so slipped her back to fight another day.

Gordon then took a couple followed by another two for me...it was then 2pm, so we had enough of the mist and stopped on the hood for a few drifts.

A HUGE shoal of 2-3lb pollock were present about 50 yards uptide of the wreck, so we proceeded to drift with rag and take a fish per drift, much to the annoyance of the small 14' dingy who was anchored on the wreck without a bite!

At 4pm, we navigated on the plotter back to the harbour following the Condor. On reaching the slip, the temp increased by about 8 degs and the sun came out!!!

Such as shame, had the weather been better Im sure we would have stayed longer and also caught more..

Anyway nice to be out, nice to get the 1st plaice of the year...good to see Sam out with us also.

Tight Lines

Adam

Glad you all had a good day, and the fog was not so bad that it stoped you going out.

It was starange to get up early to see Sam off and not join in the fishing. sad.gif

Good to see a few fish in the Book for March, Gordon if you have any for the book please send me a report.

Paul,

Thanks for taking Sam I know he really enjoyed it biggrin.gif , sorry that you lost your glasses to Davy Jones locker weep.gif

Have a safe trip to drop Elaine off in the morning.

Charlie

Good to hear you all had a good day and welcome to the trailer boat section Sam wink.gif

As it was so foggy I dont suppose losing your glasses made much difference Paul rolleyes.gif made it an expensive day out though I guess weep.gif

As I basked in the sun on my boat, in the drive doing the last few jobs I did think of you guys and wished I was out there with you. On the plus side Maverick is almost ready for the water and looking nearly new cool.gif

Shake down next week end on the training day or possibly saturday if the weather is ok

Martin

Thanks for another good day out again Adam

Weather was some what unexpected as it persisted all day. Can you believe that my nose (no jokes please ! ) and accross my cheeks is all sun burnt.

My very first plaice and a nice pollock to finish off the day.

Nothing really worth weighing though Charlie

Regards

Gordon biggrin.gif

It was a good day despite the weather.

I caught my first plaice off the Shambles, so must be improving ! - we also both almost had a second on the next drift but then, as time was running out, decided to try from some wrasse.

I too am well sunburnt - suprising, given the sun barely came out.

Shame about my glasses, but needed a new pair anyway and it is fortunate I had a spare pair in the car or I would have never been able to drive home.

Referring to previous post regarding bearings. Ignore my advice !! - When I left Sams hous I pulled into the garage and noticed a strange sound coming from the trailer. The bearings on the nearside wheel are totally shot - ( it is as if a brake is dragging, strange as I havent got brakes ) and the noise the wheel makes when rocked is not too good either. So bearing replacement this afternoon I think !

BTW: If you want to crew on Neo you are welcome anytime Sam.

thanks paul send me a email next time you go out and i wil be there im on half term from thursday so if you heading out next weekend i would love to come again.

if your not if anyone is going out let me know and i will be there

sam

thanks again rich for crewing for me today shame the fishing was not much cop but when it blowing a force 5 to 6 sick.gif and you are confind to portland harbour two pollock and two blenies which i had to t bar of because i thought they were weaver fish sad.gif it was not bad but we tryed and it was nice to be out again 1st time for loyal royal this year smile.gif so bring on the bream .

mark b

Guest fish finger

I would love to fish for some plaice or turbot sometime as I have only caught dabs and flounders flattie-wise, but I don't know if we are getting a trailor for our boat. Is there anywhere closer to the christchurch/poole are that has any?

The record shore plaice at 8lb 6oz was caught from southbourne after all.

Looking at the chart I noticed dolphin bank. Does anyone know its makeup and does it hold any flatties? It looks like a fishy feature.

Alex