A tale of two Bay days

Stuie

Thats right - two calm days meant two days out in the bay - would have been rude not to - being retired and all.......

Just for a change Neal crewed on Sea Dream - thought a little slumming would do him no harm - and nothing too early in the morning to break his new routine.

Tuesday out around 8.30 with plans to try for plaice then go deeper for rays and whatever else turned up.

Part one failed with Neal in conservation mode dropping the only offering we had - and a good one i was too,,, (Aren't they always)

Part two saw us trying a drift on banks a few miles out and pin whiting obliged - so we anchored a likely undulation. Neal showed he hadn't totally forgotten how to anchor a small boat on the mark!

However the fishing was slow - pout, dogs and small whiting obliged. A scratching rig with worm threw up a surprising grey gurnard and then Neal boated a small eyed ray. That was about it for the fishing so we both had 40 winks in the sun - you wouldn't have enjoyed it - much.

Today it was a 9am start with a plan to try for that biggy Neal dropped and see how the day progressed.

First drop and Neal boated a plaice, and another, and another. I had a pin whiting..... and Neal  further plaice, And then at last one gave itself up to me. The day progressed in similar vein with Neal regularly wearing his conservation hat. Just as well or he would have thrashed me.

A little later Neal landed a surprise turbot - undersize at 32 cms and fortunately lip hooked allowing it to swim off.

We ended the most enjoyable of days around 2pm having advised Alfie and Paul where they should try their luck, (They were equally successful.)