Anchor

gjb

You should be able to find many reviews online Graham.

Everything I heard suggest the new generation Manson and Rocna anchors have really good holding, but at a price. Deltas are worth a look too.

I wouldn't disregard the much cheaper Bruce clones for fishing, which when properly tripped do the business, and are less expensive if you make a habit of anchoring among rocks.

The old Fisherman's anchor still has a place on many long distance cruising boats, if anchoring in rocky or weedy locations.

The new generation anchors are actually difficult to stow sometimes, and difficult to man-handle over bow-rollers without chipping gelcoat. A lot depends on your stem-head fitting.

Check shank length, and how you'd carry it and secure it when under way at speed, as well.

Also, check tables of anchor weight for boat size carefully, and if in doubt, go a size up, unless you like slowed drifting :)

Finally, whatever anchor you fit, ensure it's firmly shackled on, the shackle pin is "moused", you have ample chain to allow for seabed chafe, and use of an Alderney Ring (i.e. chain weighs more than your anchor), you always allow a minimum of 3:1 scope for the depth, and where you secure the "bitter end" of the rope in your locker, you have the ability to cut it quickly in an emergency.

If you go for one of the new generation anchors, be aware that the harder you pull, the deeper they bury, if you have the right scope. The easiest way to break them out of mud/sand is to shorten scope to close to 1:1, then reverse them out the way they went in and you were lying at anchor, using the weight of the boat to do the work. No anchor will hold with a minimal scope, and it should come out relatively easily. Failing that, make friends with a diver :D

Mike

I had a Manson anchor for a number of years - expensive for it's size, but never lost it's hold once set. However if the appeal is the tripping feature, where the shackle slides along the shank, I found this to be difficult to use. Setting up the anchor specifically to trip, either with cable ties or weak chord, or both, was better for a fishing boat where anchoring on tricky ground is more likely, and resetting the trip is a small chore, particularly if using an alderney ring where the anchor is recovered to the cockpit.

I think this feature is more aimed at cruising boats that only will try to use this "in extremis"

Ian

I experienced difficulty in breaking out my manson supreme even when using the sliding shank'

It seemed that I wasn't able to get the optimum lift angle.

So I  re-rigged it as picture  so that it will definately pull out backwards if cable ties snap.

It is a super high holding anchor but for me the 7.5kgs was a bit over the top for my boat so I got hold of an additional  5kg original Bruce which I prefer to man-handle or wimp handle ;)

It works a treat .I keep the manson as a backup.

Cant fault the Manson for holding power ....it just seems to hold too well :(

tn_gallery_214_36_11732.jpg