Redfin Alderney 2015

Peter

Sorry this is a bit belated!

Seemed a different take on Alderney this year without the normal weeks of anticipation and watching off on forecasts.

Matt had a heavy night booked for the Friday which meant an early start was not possible so we arranged to travel early afternoon to Portland in time to get ice from Weyfish. First problem they had no ice despite having checked in advance .... A trawler had been in and nabbed it all. Bit of a panic but we managed to get some from the fishermen's huts behind chesil.

A beautiful calm afternoon it was tempting to make an evening crossing but with Alderney week And reports of shortages of moorings we thought it might be a lot of hassle and not keen on leaving Redfin at anchor so fish and chip supper followed by drinks on deck on a perfect glass calm evening. Felt good and filled us with anticipation of a perfect day to follow.

I awoke early to a grey breezy morning not at all as expected so spirits a little dampened.

After a quick breakfast we headed out to try and find some marks off the back of the shambles. Hard going about 45 mins yielded about a dozen mostly on the small side.

Just about enough for a start on the banks so off to a wreck to try our luck before the tide died.

Still quite breezy with wind with the tide pushing the drifts along.

First fish to me was a nice bass at the surface but managed to release itself while Matt was going for the net. Slick netting was not to be a feature of the trip!

One more pollock before the tide died and we decide to head straight for the Schole where we arrived about 2:00 to join Tigerfish. The L'Etacs looked beautiful covered in Gannets

Started slowly but we had a steady stream of gurnards and small tope with a couple of turbos and 4 brill not of any great size we kept 2 brill. Seemed odd we were the only two boats on the bank on a Sunday very different from earlier in the year.

Returned to Braye about 6 Matt managed to do a spectacular backflip onto the deck when attempting to board the water taxi...... Very painful.so I had a quiet night in the Thai alone having somehow missed Steve and crew.

Met up with Adam and the JV crew at Alderney angling next morning and hatched a plan. Down to the Schole again to,start. Much the same pattern with about 8 brill and turbos for the day Mixed in with the by catch. Matt had the best fish of the trip this 13 1/2lb beauty for a pb

Moved to the South bank for last few drifts of the day but no more flatties. It was a dark grey evening with the viz closing in and low,cloud obscuring the island ..... No beautiful sunset return this year to remember over the winter.

Though a great shot of Redfin from Rob I didn't think she got so air bound

Back on shore for an excellent meal at the Britannia hotel in the great company of JVs crew. Thanks Alun for booking it the crab linguine was really good.

So the last day dawned woken by the fairly lively movement of Redfin and rain streaming down the windows .... I feared,a return as bad as 2011. But by the time we had been onshore for fuel via a lift back on the cavernous JV the weather had started to improve so we set off to hop a few wrecks on the way home.

The first couple proved slim pickings but the third a favourite of mine started to give up a few fish fish after a few drifts. Initially cod and pollock then I had a bass. Fearing a repeat of the trip out I suggested to Matt he might to move expeditiously with the net only for him to snag it on the feathers. What a xxxxxx I would never do that. So bass safely on board Matt got one to the surface next drift so I rushed for the net and did exactly the same thing, much to the amusement of JV who offered to do our netting for us.

By about 3:00 we were tiring and decided to head for home leaving JV to go on to more wrecks.

With a few cod and Matts great turbot we had just about redeemed ourselves a good steady trip in good company.

Looking forward to next year already hopefully a bit earlier in the season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

post-172-1440091603524_thumb.jpg

post-172-14400925038288_thumb.jpg

post-172-14400925601397_thumb.jpg