Rod/reel combos

Guest fish finger

Guest fish finger

I am planning to get two sets of 20/30lb class rods with reels for the boat for when we get it (conger, rays, cod etc.). Is it possible to get a half decent combo for around

when i go conger and cod fishing i use a ugly stick 30lb class with a tld 15 sometimes tld 25 this is a nice combo

i picked up the rod for 50 pounds but the reels can be expensive around 100 pounds.

sam

buying new reels (strong) will be the problem within that price range -

If you can stretch a little I would buy the following from tacklebargins (link on site here somewhere)

2 x Fladden Chieftan Wrecker 5/0 Boat Multiplier @ 50 a pop

2 x Fladden 15-30lb Charter Specials @ 30 the pair

plus about 10 postage

this will do you for conger, cod, rays, ling and the rods are sensitive enough for pollack etc

I bought 4 of the rods a month back and was surprised at the quality - Rich is having 1 and the other 2 were for someone wanting exactly the same as yourself. (and 1 left over for me........... rolleyes.gif )

like everything else this is only a personal opinion

The limiting factor is your budget. If you want to stick within your budget then I'd look at one of the online tackle dealers. www.anglinguk.net do a lot of the Ron Thompson deals. Look at the fireweave carbon ronds mathed with the Okuma classic reels. You shoild be within your budget easily and get a decent rod/reel combo.

The rods ain't that bad. Nice "tippy" action but with good lifting power in the mid section. Okuma classic is an underated reel. A lot of people dismiss them tho they are capable little reels for the money and take a fair amount of abuse.

Another dealer that supplies decent budget combos is Glasgow Angling Cntr. Don't know if they have a web site but going by a catalouge that came with one of the mags they can also do the RT/Okuma combos at competitive prices.

Or as other people have said, go second hand.

Duncan,

Do you recommend the rods you bought from Tacklebargains? I ordered some lures from them and was much impressed with their quality of service.

They also do the Storm sandeels that Rich used so successfully in the Portland Race

Also, if we get around another

Glasgow Angling Centre RT/Okuma deals here

Seems a bit obscure that you get the level wind with the uptider but not the downtider - what a difference a 5'er makes!

Pair of 20/30's with 30's and postage will be pretty spot on the ton. Just don't think you can compare these reels strengthwise though - smooth and corrosion resistant but they just don't have either the frame or internals for hard work.

Paul,

For effectively 20 a time I think they are magic! Playing around in the garden test curve is around 5lb and they should handle a 2lb lead if needed. V-light to hold. 9 nice lined rings. If I could find any digital camera that worked I would post some detail pics. I am certainly hanging on to one of them to use this season.

By a slip (or two) of my finger rolleyes.gif I also received both the 12 and 20lb Normarks which I can see becoming my favoured pair right through the summer.

All were ordered through the link.

But on this sort of budget I don't think you could ask for much more! If there wasa bit more money in the kitty then I'm sure with a bit of shopping around a decent rod/reel combo would be forth coming. Like most things in life it all boils down ti ard cash.

Hi Alex [FishFinger]

A belated welcome to the Clubs Forum.

I see that you have been chating with Sam,

He is as he says himself??? a good fisherman. sick.gif

He tends to use good reels on strong but not overpriced rods.

As others have said the best option to get close to your budget without going second hand is to buy cheaper rods and better reels.

Rods are after all fairly simple bits of kit, but reels have many working parts.

Whatever you get needs to be fairly robust.

As the species you are hoping to catch and the size of weights you will need to use due to the strength of the tide will soon get the better of weak tackle.

Have you considered using your total budget to buy 1 better set of gear. My boys and I only tend to use 1 set of 30lb test gear each when targetting the bigger species. plus other lighter rods

Or is the other for Dad to get him to take you out fishing? biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

The main thing is to keep the reels in full working order and clean the Salt Water off after every trip. A job that Sam and his brother Daniel still leave to me.

You may get away with putting course gear away straight after use, but if you do the same after fishing in the sea any rods reels you do get will not last long.

Tight lines and good luck with the shopping.

Charlie

whats the smiley suppost to mean dad next to sam is a good fisherman

if you wanted a smaller reel you could always go for the abu 7000 range.

dads got 3 of these and ive got one on the way i like these reels easy to use but a bit pricey.

sam

If you have carp rods, all you really need is a set of heavier gear. Afterall, carp weigh in region of 10-20, and there ain't that many fish in the Poole bay that would be bigger than that, with the exception of conger and the bigger rays.

Being a course fisherman I suppose you know more of playing the fish. I landed a 19 lb conger with what I thught was a 20lb rod and a small okuma 30L (I think), but later I checked and it was 12 lb, and I felt the gear still had some reserve.

Hi again,

If your reels already making strange noises it is time to strip it down and give it a full service, if you do not know how maybe someone from the Club who lives in your area can help you with that.

With reels I am afraid what was said earlier is true, you get what you pay for.

As Sam said I have several ABU 7000's that the boys and I use and a selection of Shimano Lever Drags.

They cost a lot of money initially but are still as good as they were new, a bit faded and scratched but working A1. Not bad as most of them are a lot older than Sam.

On the other hand my spinning reels that I tend to get cheaper ones have a tendancy to only survive a few seasons.

Sorry to hear that your Dad suffers at Sea, the tablets will help but will make him tired. Daniel sometimes suffers and we have found that eating dry Ginger biscuits helps a lot.

The dry biscuit and ginger both help in their own way.

Obviously starting by using the new boat on a few nice days to get used to her action on the sea will help.

so just build up gently to the rougher stuff and run back to harbour if it gets choppy before your Dad starts to go Green sick.gif

There are plenty of fish in the harbour if its rough outside

Sam the smiley was about how sickening you get when telling everyone what a good fisherman you are. wink.gif So modest rolleyes.giftongue.gifwink.gif

I do not know where you get it from biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Charlie