Sunday 17th May

Coddy

Allan invited me out for a trip on Fisheagle to see if we could find any new marks and try ones we have seen previously.

A leisurely start to catch the 9.30 bridges, we had decided to give Ballards a miss as we suspected there would be a number of boats there and with it almost being slack tide the bites would dry up quite a bit so we headed for Poole rocks.

Dropped the pick at a likely looking spot and waited for the bites to begin, we were soon joined by a number of other boats so we thought must have got the position right. :)

However the fish thought otherwise and after an hour of nothing we upped and moved offshore a bit but as we arrived at one of Allan's marks we found a number of charter boats all had the same idea but the sea state was quite rough and being beam on and an increasing wind which would go wind over tide we thought better of it and headed inshore again.

A few drifts between the piers produced nothing and by this time the wind had increased quite considerably, so we thought a quick couple of drifts down the swash to see if we could pick up a red spotty.

We found another club boat near the training bank and they had a few fish so hopes were high. I had a nice bite and thought I had missed it but as I wound in I could feel the fish still there and up came a nice 2lb ballan wrasse, Allan found the kennels but the weed coming out of the harbour was horrendous and it was only a few seconds before the bait was covered in weed.

We decide to have yet another move inside the harbour when we got a call from Happy Hooker asking if we could give them a tow back in as their battery had gone flat.

I quickly made up a bridle and cleared the back of the boat ready for the tow, the sea was quite sloppy by now and getting close enough to pass a rope was not easy but managed it first time. We then started in at about 4kts but it quickly became apparent that we needed to increase speed as Happy Hooker was surfing down the waves and turning in every direction, so we increased the speed a little to try to keep a bit above the wave period. A quick radio call t the harbour control to advise them that we had a boat in tow and our speed was slow, we timed the chain ferry just right but I think they might have held back a bit for us but we informed harbour control when we had passed the chains.

post-39-0-42400100-1431969729_thumb.jpg

post-39-0-08300200-1431969764_thumb.jpg

Frank, the skipper/owner of Happy Hooker suggested we go into Fishermans Dock as Allan's boat would not get into Baiter as it was low tide, so when we reached Poole Yacht station we stopped and tied Happy Hooker alongside to make the manoeuvrings of both boats easier in a confined area.

I have to admit that every boat kept a wide birth of us and kept their speed down, I was most impressed by their courtesy :P

Having managed the tight turns in Quay Haven we were struggling with the slow speed and windage but unfortunately we got caught out and went aground! :o

Fortunately we were along side the channel marker pole and managed to tie Happy Hooker onto it, the tide had just turned and we were soon afloat again but it was touch and go to stop going aground again as the wind tried to push us into the shallows.

We managed to tie up alongside another craft and the others on Happy Hooker paddled the boat ashore.

I have to admit by this time I was getting quite exhausted and was glad when we made it back into the main Quay area and under the bridges

Not a super successful day fish wise but glad we could help out a friend, but it was surprising haw the wind on a boat can effect steerage.

I think I will be making up a Bridle ready for future events as we seem to get involved in recuing other quite often. B)

Thanks for an interesting day Allan ;)  ;)  ;)

Many thanks for the report Dave and the invaluable assistance. As you say, one of the more interesting days. I have made up a slightly longer bridle, but after yesterday, I don't want to use it too often. I had several observations about yesterday. The swell in the harbour and hight differences of the two boats made lashing alongside impossible untill we reached calm water.

Fortunately, Frank had paddles on board and that allowed them to beach the boat in very shallow water by the Fisherman's Dock Slip. He was aware of a problem on his recently purchased engine in the morning when he got a low voltage alarm. The radio also started to be erratic at the same time. Happily, he had a back up.

He has 50 hp motor on his Raider, how many people with a similar set up have tried to start their engine with a cord? He bought a new battery today, but it could well be the rectifier or alternator.

A warm 50 is easy to pull start.

I had low water in a cell of my battery a few years ago, started fine but an evening on the bass drifts soon flattened it (ESP with bait pump running).

So, I pull started it for every drift, probably 15 times!

Starting a cold one, would be a different story I imagine.

If in doubt, carry a charged jump pack (I used to and only ever used it to start someone's car that was blocking the slip!).

Well done guys, i had to pull start my 50hp fourtroke on my old boat when we were fishing at the needles a couple of years ago when the fuse had blown due to a short in a cable against the engine. Can be done fairly easily with a good pull. But like rob said i can imagine its a bit harder when engine is cold.

Did happy hooker have his engine down in the water whilst you were towing allan cause iv towed a few boats before and without the engine down the boat being towed sways all over the place?

rich