What a load of Cods

Peter

We had been keeping an eye on the window Sunday to get out on the wrecks and it did not disappoint.

So Mat and I met Terry (Plaicemat) and his friend Pete at the marina with the best weather we seem to have had for ages and quickly got the gear stowed and started motoring off to the first wreck of the day some 20miles distant.

Apart from a few lumps on the shambles sea was almost flat so we made a todd 20knts all the way.

First drift a double figure pollack to me and next drift it started with the cod. A couple on that drift and it continued all day with h 3 or 4 fish virtually every drift apart from about 30 mins over slack water.

Most of the fish in the 3 to 5 lb bracket with a smattering of bigger ones. It was fantastic sport with no time for a brew.

About one I got a bigger fish that turned out to be a 20 lb cod after a dogged fight followed shortly after by only the second pollack of the day at 16lb

Never seen fish so full of feed everyone was stuffed to the gills with sprats and small scad.

We were joined early by one of the commercials for most of the day and a charter turned up later but sport seemed unaffected.

With the wind starting to whip up and aching arms all round we opted to run back at 3pm so back for a major filleting session at the Marina. 4 very happy guys. Thanks Terry and Pete for your excellent company all day. A thoroughly great day blowing away all memories of the winter doldrums.

Peter