Poole Charter skippers Species Hunt

Neal

We currently have 2 teams entering this competition on the 5th June

Neal Sturt, Stuie Cooper, Greg Toms, Mike Fox

Chris Witheford, Nigel Allen, Dave Evans, Kev Couzens

Also expressing an interest was Dave Lynes and Mal Thomas, are their two more to make

up the third team.

Cost £60 each - £1000 cash prize fund plus prizes......

• 4 weeks later...

Well today was an experience.

We fished on one of the local charter boats, getting on board about 7.30 at the fisherman's dock. My first time in there. Two of the opposition were late for departure. Maybe we should have insisted and gone without them :)

After a wet start. we punched out to Swanage Bay, and fished a shallow rocky mark there, beloved by our kayak friends for mini-species. First drop a Baillon's Wrasse to me, and a succession of Ballans and Corkwings followed with Greg getting quite a few, with the opposition getting a Goldsinney, Garfish, and one tiny Bream too. After trying to re-anchor the mark 3 times in the stiff breeze and counter current, the skipper picked up a marker buoy on the reef, but species didn't really improve, and we couldn't find a Goldsinney despite them getting several. Honours were even, because they couldn't get a Baillon's.

We then went to Evans Rock, but the skipper admitted he dropped the anchor on the ridge, and we were fishing downtide of the mark. No-one caught, so we dropped offshore to fish a 100'+ hole for cookoo wrasse. Well I had one first drop, but drifts were nearly 3 knots. Next drift the opposition had a pollack, and the next one I had a fat pout, followed by one to them.

We had a few more high speed drifts then dashed across the back of Ballard to the wreck of the Leny. The first attempt at anchoring ploughed a furrow. The second attempt resulted in us halting nicely where I squeaked a doggy, followed by a few others and the opposition had one and a red gurnard and 2 smuts. The anchor stopped us in the middle of nowhere, but had found a snag, and had to be cut and buoyed.

We were then restricted to drifting Patches, where Dave had goby, and I caught the elusive Goldsinney, followed by a few others, Neal had 4 more Baillon's wrasse to really annoy the other team, who retorted with a Tompot Blenny. We then went into Branksome, drifting over sand to no avail, then picked up a buoy in the harbour for the last half hour, again, with no result. Lots of messy red weed inshore and in harbour!

Maybe it had something to do with the skipper keeping the engine running almost all day even in shallow water and at anchor, as his batteries were low.

We had 8 species overall, but our opposition on the day had 12. They didn't get Baillon's or Cookoo wrasse. so 14 species on board. No mackerel still and no proper bream anywhere !

Mike

Steve, you have a PM.

I was fishing next to a chap called Rob who had apparently been a former England international. We had similar tackle and rigs. I tried to match his workrate, tactics and techniques, and it was usually us two doing last drop, and first drop. We both wore full waterproofs most of the day for the wet trips back upwind, getting ready for the next drop. He kept his cool, didn't fluster, made the best of the day, and used various "buying a bite" techniques constantly, that I've only ever previously seen with George. Like the rest of us, he was frustrated by hours of blanks, but his persistence and professionalism probably got him the most fish of any angler on the boat.

Angling at his level is not like a lottery. There is no level playing field. There's anglers that can, and anglers that want to. I had Baillon's, Cookoo, Doggy and Goldsinney that he didn't, but he got a Pollack, Garfish, and a tiny Bream, so I might have just beat him on species on the day. Other than that our species were the same - mainly Ballan and Corkwing wrasse plus Pout. Frustratingly, I didn't quite match his work rate, skill level, and his consequent quantity of fish...this time. He was the better angler, by quite a margin.

I just hope I've learned enough for my next comp :)

Mike

Got my kitchen job wrapped up last night so had Friday free. We had some rough weather thursday night but xc showed a small lull , with it blowing up again that afternoon. Optimistically I packed my gear .

Got down to Branksome chine around ten am, and it wasn't looking promising.

1F2C2B75-AD3B-4596-B1BB-C0C69176558B.jpg

It was the Poole charter skippers species hunt comp today and many of them where on Poole Outer Patch. You can see many of them on the horizon

I anchored up within shouting distance but not close enough to be a nuisance .I did hear Nigel catch a goldsinney.

Various cork wings, a few dogs, and lots of baby smuts

73755771-9F1E-4A64-B7BB-475CE6EC3E4B.jpg

C285A59A-C353-4DB1-A00A-7B241B247F53.jpg

After a couple of hours the first white horses showed. That's enough for me to bug out.

Paddled back against wind and tide( easy) and tried my mark at Branksome

Had a few wrasse but nothing new , and with waves now breaking over me I hit it and quit.

Not the best session in the world but not a bad Friday lunchtime

B3EF6408-E288-48E7-BB70-3D90F170CFE6.jpg