Trawler tracking with AIS

Wedger

Closer to home the trawling goes on.

Today there are 100 fishing vessels in the English Channel which can be seen on AIS tracking. These are just the ones with the AIS switched on! I guess the smaller inshore MFV's are not pinging AIS often if at all.

A high propotion are French and Belgian vessels but we are there too. There's about 6 Belgians working intencely 10-12 km off Hove currently - 8 French and 2 English working the bass grounds down west. Worth a play with vesselfinder.com to get a flavour of our more local picture. Remember this is only vessel movements which are AIS live. If you zoom in and click on a vessel you can see some of the details on the left and then click on the TRACK button to see where she's been over the last day or since AIS was switched on.

Jim, the concentrations of boats may differ with target species from area to area, but I think I'm right with the western approaches mob re bass. I suspect but stand to be corrected, the Eastbourne lot might be after migrating cod. The Hove lot plaice maybe??

I would say that most, I assume, will be following the current rules - some won't. Money makes the world go round and that's why they are fishing!! it's the politics, rules and enforcement that cocks it up in the big world. Under cover of darkness it's black fish taken on small sorties, right under our noses killing large numbers in small doses.

Lots of fishing boats out tonight.

I've also been watching the last couple of nights drift netters working SE of IOW about 20 miles out causing havoc in the westbound shipping lane!

I use Marinetraffic app aswell as vesselfinder, seems to be quicker and simple to get tracks etc, just click on target.

Looking at amount of boats to the east no wounder the fish are struggling!!!

I have been advised tonight that on Friday 24th may well see the end of Pair trawling in the channel by all nations for Bass

Needless to say the French are up in arms about the EU action, they may even block ports in anger - great they aren't out fishing I say! Stay inshore for as long as you like