Off Setting Anchor Buff

Member Removed

I use the Alderney Ring system to retrieve my anchor, and whilst this generally works well, getting the buff on the desired side of the boat when stating can be a pain. I understand that there is a system which involves looping a stainless steel triangle into the anchor line once the anchor has been deployed and set, which then jams in the Alderney ring and allows the buff to be set some distance up tide of the boat. This makes it much easier to get the buff where you want it when starting away on the retrieval and significantly reduces the risk of ending up with the anchor rope in the prop. I am looking for a specification so that I can get one of these triangles made up. Obviously the triangle needs to be bigger than your Alderney ring, but does it need to be a particular shape i.e. does it look more like a closed Y shape to better cause the anchor rope that is looped over it to lock in the bottom of the Y. If anyone is familiar with this system and could provide a simple diagram this would be great.

Jamma,

I know what you mean. A tip that was given to me is as follows.

Before you start to motor forward to retreave the anchor - give the boat a decent whack of reverse with opposite lock - this has the effect of stretching the warp a couple of feet and bringing the buff infront of the boat on the correct side.

Next step is to swiftly turn the wheel opposite lock again and begin to motor forward, this has the desired effect and the bouy comes neatly alongside the boat.

It works everytime for me, and saves having loads of complicated steel rings etc.

Adam

Another trick I remember from an early bfm was the use of the lazy line.

If you employ the lazy line as part of your anchor system, the crew can 'hold' and 'lift' the part of rope in side the boat, clear of the water when maotoring off to prevent the pro hitting the rope.

Kam, if you are holding the warp alongside to lift the trail out of the water during the lift, the holder can also "feel" the bouy reach the end of the rope, hit the chain coupling, then rub along the chain till it comes to rest against the anchor. Then a signal to the skipper informs him the anchor is up. Be mindfull not to grip the warp as if your life depends on it, should there be a snag you may end up in the drink!!

Rich