Trailer tyre puncture

Manic Moore

I have jacked up BW using the standard car jack, but to be honest it is a last gasp solution and invloves using blocks of wood to get the height.

I have also bought a cheapish trolley jack. Connect the boat to the car for extra stability and then use the jack, inserting axle stands when high enough.

Adam

Kam, "Used to" was pertinent to the previous 2 boats which I towed between Loch Lomond (pike) Plymouth (pollack and bass) North Brittany (bass) and Spain/Med (sitting on the back of the boat drinking cold beer and fishing for golden mullet whilst the family soaked up the rays).

I do have occasional use of a trailer for Phaeton too, but haven't found a reason to tow it yet.

I would echo Adam's point and never jack up a trailer not attached to the tow vehicle (sorry about the double negative!) - even chocking the down wheel isn't a guarantee it won't pivot/spin.

2 ton trolley jack <

Guys......here's a thought. Construction and use regulations for all road vehicles state that if a spare wheel is located on the vehicle, it must be of a servicable nature. Would we think of venturing out in our motor vehicles without a serviceable spare? For the cost of a new trailer tyre and wheel, compared to recovery by AA/RAC, I know what I would do. Do you guys know the law regarding tyre tread on a trailer tyre?

Rich

Kam,

Spain was more like 900 miles each way - but the weather and water were a lot warmer........... rolleyes.gif

That said we had pike to 19lb in the Loch, and one of the best nights I have ever had on the water was anchored up in the islands off Luss with a wee dram watching the sun go down.

Despite a couple of early runs out a few miles offshore in Spain for tuna/bonito the best fish I managed in 6 weeks of daily fishing was a 1lb golden mullet!

Still don't think you can beat Poole - the clubs waters have it all in abundance; just a matter of getting out there and getting it done!

NEGATIVE..I once towed my Fastliner to Scotlands West coast,I put all our camping gear and boating/fishing kit in the boat.It made a wonderful trailer...Except,9 punctures 2 new tyres,and the final exasperated purchase of 2 new wheels and tyres complete from a Halfords in Glasgow.Ah those were the days,no rules about overloading etc.

POSATIVE. I have an Airbag Jack which goes under anything and will lift a boat on trailer easily,even on sand/mud/grass etc.powered by the vehicle exhaust.It packs away in a small holdall.[ military use them].My campervan is too heavy and too high for it. If anyone is interested they could give it a try ,and if any use,put something in the club funds..jack

Don't make the mistake I made with axle stands.

Jacked the boat up to work on the brakes. Put some axle stands under the axle for added security. Went off to play golf (gotta get your priorities right!). Came back to find the boat had fallen off the axle stands!!

It was a warm day and the stands had sunk into the tarmac.

Lesson learned - put a firm base under the stands if jacking on tarmac.

Lesson learned - boats are definitely female...they dont like you playing golf either!

BF