Dowrigger required please

Hooky

Many moons ago a member offered me a Downrigger to experiment with while trolling Lures.

If you have one to sell please send me a pm, if you have one that you want to keep but would be willing to lend out for beer money it would be more than welcome.

Thanks chaps.

Hi i have 1 you can borrow but we have to pick a time i am down at the boat 

graham

Cheers graham , can you pm me your number please .

Many thanks all, I'm going to try trolling a few ' rhubarb & custard ' lures for the piggys, ' apparently !!!!!!!!!!!' This IS the way to do it .

Very light rod with 15lb mono , who knows ! Fisher men's tales eh., I really have as dislike for heavy rods with big weights , maybe throwing away expensive lures on every occasion seems to my forte !

Yes Rob , my thoughts exactly.

I was having a look through some old youpube stuff on cod fishing , it was a a Norwegian deep water film.

Static fishing, 100 ft of water with a down rigger using pink muppets ( light rod ) Vs huge pirks ..

Interesting attachment to the Downrigger , it was similar to a bait dropper stuffed full of smelly old hard backed crabs etc.

The muppets were only about 20 ft from the rigger, .

Other interest was the way the line was attached to the wire line, paperclip with elastic band.

No pulling up and down on the rigger, just clip it on and let it sink down .

Their is probably a good reason that I have only ever noticed anyone trying this in the uk, it's massive in many other parts of the world

...?...

Nothing ventured I suppose

Once again a big thank you to Graham for the offer of his Downrigger .

The Wife ( bless her ! ) had already ordered me one for Xmas ! It arrived yesterday ( she does read this forum as is starting to take a interest in this hobby ) .

I am playing about with this combined weigh / bait dropper idea today, so far it looks like it will be a milk container half filled with ultra hard , rapid set concrete with a fixed wire insets .

No way am I going to buy the lead / plastic ones @ £ 40.00 a pop , I'm sure I can make some sort of effective mould , these will be disposable due to the areas I'm going to attempt trolling.

I did this type of fishing in Vancouver with huge success , I will of course do a honest full report to let you all know what happens.

It is possible I might be out on Fisheagle with Alan soon and because my Downrigger is fully transferable ( gunnel clamp fixing ) I want to try it in stronger tides from the car park area (ish) and Alan has brought back some very interest new toys back form France that may be just the ticket.

My wife bought me a downrigger one Christmas with all the bits.

I would advise buying the weight as it has a fin guide and grab with which your main line is attached to. The fin assures the direction of the weight in the water and the smooth action of the lure.

It does take a while to get use to and be sure to keep away from areas where there are lots of weed. If the lure gets snagged up in weed, then this weight gets suddenly transferred to your

rod. and before you know it your rod is doing back flips. I learnt the hard way.

However, it is also a great ground bait dropper in large depths of water. I used to drop ground bait in 80 - 100 feet of water and this used to deposit right by our rods. I know this for a fact because one year we caught shed loads of whiting and found our chopped up Mackerel inside them.

Also be sure to look after the stainless steel wire. The stainless steel wire which was supplied with my downrigger started to corrode after a couple of years. Unfortunately, whilst trying to lift the weight out of a snag the wire snapped. We lost the weight and several yards of wire.(A costly error in not looking after my kit!!)

I look forward to seeing your results soon.

Good luck,

Greg