How to launch and retrieve a large boat with ease alone (with pictures)

Hooky

I've been meaning to put up this thread in hope that others with bad backs or no mates can get out fishing even when the slipway or beach is difficult.

If you have any questions please post away, it works for me, I guarantee it works.

First off you need a reasonable trailer, it doesn't matter if it has bunks or not.

Your eye of your boat needs to be sound, your trailer must always be attached to your vehicle.

The keel rollers of the trailer should be of solid construction (not those soft rubber ones) you can get these for around £12.00"each (I've still,got the rubber ones and it still works ok.

Lets start with money, under £200.00 for the lot.

First off is power, I use one of these that I bought from Machine Mart, the great thing is you can also use it on you boat to keep. Your phones etc charged, ( big lights are also no problem as it has a ciggarette type plug in as well as a tire pump ( also can act as a live bait aerator !

post-1523-0-16268300-1410183378_thumb.jpg

Next the winch, you can get this type from eBay , you can get them in various sizes, each can have different gauge of cable .

Note you need the wireless remote control sort ( these are also supplied with the manual plug in switch.

post-1523-0-02780100-1410183675_thumb.jpg

Show with wireless connection

post-1523-0-43428500-1410183996_thumb.jpg

I keep the battery pack and control system on the tailgate of the truck, note that your winch is NOT waterproof!

As you see from the third picture there is a snatch block, when launching you need to release the winch in to free mode, this attaches under the boat to a secure point to the furthest point on your trailer .

You will now be able to launch your boat at the push of a button ( make sure the engine is fully tilted up )

To retrieve simply attach the hook,used in picture to your boat and press the button !

I'm just playing about with the trailer to allow me to get the boat launched and recovered from a flat beach or mud, you will need to try this against your own craft due to,the shape of your hull, I'm sure you get

idea.

post-1523-0-80829400-1410187409_thumb.jpg

Sorry : I have no idea why the last picky keep going upside down !

post-1523-0-87374100-1410183859_thumb.jpg

Hi Hooky

I have a 785 ribeye with a full roller trailer do you think it would launch this ok as i cant get it off the trailer at christchurch i keep it on a swing mooring at salterns at the mo but would like to be able to go other places

mark w

Yep ,,works with any boat, the only thing you have to be carefully of is to be sure your engine is set as high possible.

I will pop out in a while to do another picture of the snatch block attached to the back of the trailer.

It goes without saying you need to routing of the wire underneath a rib,,easily sorted with some wire guides.

On a safety note you, do keep a close eye on the cable and hook as any damage it could break and with the weight of the boat, in or outwards, it could cause a nasty injury with the whiplash. 

This is why most people use straps on their trailer winch.

Sorry to be a bit of a kill joy but would hate to see anyone hurt. (this could cost you a fortune without insurance cover)

Dave

If you get this wrong you will rip off the eye from you boat ,, be aware you need to check the run of the cables, if they catch the cables will break.

When you are using a snatch block you are effectively doubling the power of your winch ( as far as I'm aware)

You could also attach the snatch block end to retrieve, the other end could be attached to your tow bar (. 2 tons ? This will obviously be the safest way of using this powerfull tool but will,reduce the length by half.

post-1523-0-96477000-1410198968_thumb.jpg

So the main hook with the red tag stays on the boat eye.

post-1523-0-51000400-1410199092_thumb.jpg

The other goes to the back of the trailer ( i will add a attachment eye soon)

post-1523-0-42520900-1410199286_thumb.jpg

This picture shows what can happen to the wires ! Don't forget to check them before winching.Make sure they are tight to the bottom of the hull.

You don't even need to get your feet wet, very handy if the slipway is 'slippy '

Totally agree Coddy, hence the wireless remote, you can stand well away from the wires, good call , make sure there is NO PERSON near your craft when doing this.

IF you break the cable etc with this method I do keep a brand new hand winch in the car, the whole assembly only uses 4 bolts that attach it to the winch post.

Another thought; this type of powerwinch is also designed to pull cars etc up trailers and out of ditches etc, its a VERY powerfull tool.

IF your craft was stuck well away from the trailer, it would also be possible to attach a length of anchor rope to the snatch block end and drag it to where its needed ( just tie loop knots in the rope in stages to reduce its length ( emergency only !)

I don't see how this could work with trailer still attached to vehicle on a shallow slip.

Fine with plenty of water!

Better off with movers on the wheels but they are ££££!

It works 100% , Rob, effectively I could get the boat off the trailer onto mud without any water at all ( that's why you need a very strong trailer if you were daft enough to try it !

I also have a spare cable, just in case..

Thought I would also add this is a two -way winch, forward and reverse. ( although the snatch block reverses the power of the cable.)

You could also use this method to get you boat off its trailer using a hand winch using a strap.

Don't use snatch block, replace it with another keel roller, again attaches to the rear of the trailer, it's how to do it the easy way, it's just reversing the pull from the front of the trailer to the back, hope its becoming clear ( it really is that simple)

Fine, you can dump your boat on mud / a slip etc. but, if you keep it attached to the car, how do you launch at Baiter ?

I assume:

1. The car is is 9"/12" of water - depending on draft of boat

2. You end up dumping the boat in not enough water and waiting for the tide or damage the boat getting it back in the trailer

Also, how do you control the speed of the boat going off the trailer? Too quick and it could damage the transom / transducers etc?

Seems like an awful lot of effort and money to achieve what can be done with well set up trailer. If you replace all rollers with hard nylon type and keep the spindles well greased the boat will come off with little more than finger pressure. If it is a bit sticky let out a couple of foot of winch strap lock the winch then reverse the car and trailer a few feet and brake hard. This will get the boat moving down trailer but unable to slip the trailer completely and potentially cause damage.

Did this for years with my Warrior 175 which is probably the heaviest trailer boat.

Peter

Yes Rob , the speed of the winch is used in small actions, as soon as you take your finger off it stops.

No, your vehicle would not need to be in the water on some slips ( gradient good) but around here , Baiter included, it makes no difference to the damage you could cause to your boat if you attempt to launch a boat by dumping its ass on to mud either by hand or winch.

On mine the minimum I use is the water is just level with the keel rollers, this means the trucks rear wheels are around 9 inches deep.

You could if needed reduce the diameter of the trailer wheels , lowering its height , I doubt if this would work if you had stern drives etc and very little water, that would,be just plain daft !

Seems like an awful lot of effort and money to achieve what can be done with well set up trailer. If you replace all rollers with hard nylon type and keep the spindles well greased the boat will come off with little more than finger pressure. If it is a bit sticky let out a couple of foot of winch strap lock the winch then reverse the car and trailer a few feet and brake hard. This will get the boat moving down trailer but unable to slip the trailer completely and potentially cause damage.

Did this for years with my Warrior 175 which is probably the heaviest trailer boat.

Peter

Yes Peter, I struggled to get a Wilson 24 ft jobbie of it trailer even with hard rollers, no gentle push would do it, I'm relatively disabled back wise so I have to be very carefull

If you look @ a few post backs another member with a rib with full rollers is also struggling .

It's not possible to always reverse down the slip and hit the brakes, yes it works, to me it comes with its risks that are higher to your boat and others safety .

I CAN launch my boat with a push, just, only just , if I strain my back again launching or retrieving it will cost me far more in lost wages etc than around two hundred quid so to me it's worth every penny.

You may have noticed some of our club members are 'getting on a wee bit' anything that can assist them launching and retrieving for the less able.

I've sat down @ Baiter many times to see so many people struggle as I used too, not any more.

The very end of my trailer is around a foot shorter than the boat that's on it , by the time it comes off the last roller it's free, still attached to the wire, if you also look at the roller step I have not welded on yet, this gives the boat a very gentle final push. It's not totally necessary , it again must makes launching that bit easier ( and 10 times easier to recover )

No problem at all with the posting, if That's what's this club is all about.

If anyone wants to,come along to film it working,, it would far better to see its plus sides as well as the major problems you could cause if done incorrectly ( I'm very surprised I can't find anyone else using reverse winching on YouTube , mechanically,,or manually ?! )

Seen a few American ones with nice slipways and pontoons etc, they are usually covered in co- operate stickers and trying to flog something !

Anyone want to do YouTube film ?...?..

Beware solid rollers!!!

I put some on my trailer and launched the boat on to the slipway the first time I used it because it came off so quick

always keep it attached to the winch

Tony

Good timing Tony, I was about to add that thought, my method is very controlled so this would never happen, even at the dreaded,KImmeridge !