Recently joined the club

kippercave

Have been fishing locally for many years but had a break when I was working.Now well retired.Out of interest when I was a youngster in the fifties and sixties I used to fish in the harbour with my father in his 14 foot rowing boat with a 40 plus seagull.There was plenty of fish then,not like now.We used to catch bass up to 15 pounds on rag worm at the old Dorset Lake Shipyard next to the marine camp and big bass in some numbers at the haven.We motored up to the ferry on the flood tide and drifted back towards Branksea Castle ,quite hairy at times.A chap called Mike Trott also did the same at the ferry but could see money in it  and started taking out paying anglers. The charter boys soon got wind and within a few years they fished it out.Also the pleasure boat traffic increased and made it difficult.You were never bothered by the harbour board.``````you could then catch flounders all over the harbour in large numbers ,summer and winter The commercial crabbers used them as boat.

When I first started fishing the only charter boats operating were boats used for ferrying visitors round the harbour,the two main orators were Harveys and Davis Boat yards.. You could hire rowing boats from Davis.

In September and October you could catch bass  by trolling abit of white rag on the hook.Bass were very numerous at the Black Bridge at Rockley sands.

The night watchman  at Sydenhams timber yard used to fish off of Poole Bridge  on a flood tide with rag and prawns and catch huge bass.

Oh what times.

I only mention this to show how the fishing in the harbour has changed for the worst.

If you went out on the rocks in the bay with the ferry operators in the summer evenings when they were free you could always guarantee a bucket full of fish.

I started fishing again in 2003 when I bought a Parkstone  Bay with an old friend.unfortunately he subsequently died.I fish mainly in the harbour but do venture outside for the plaice and bream.

When I started fishing again I was surprised at all the new regulations.Because of low fish stocks there is some sense to this but as anglers we must be mindful of this,how far could these regulations go. I believe there is talk of stopping the digging of rag.

Hi Dave

You can still dig for rag, the main concern is back filling the holes and it is a recommendation that you don't take more than 3lb of rag for your personal use every day.

The Southern IFCA wardens may question you if you take more

That's a lot of rag unless you know something we don't!

Dave

Welcome to the club and your recollections of how Poole used to fish...and could again if stocks are ever restored!

There's been a few documented encountered with the Poole Bay Monster...but no-one in the club has seen it, despite being hooked by experienced anglers who have had blonde ray to 25lb or so on 30lb class gear...

Do you remember any occasions when massive, heavy, tackle-straining fish have actually been landed in days of old? 

Some suspect common skate, but I have thoughts that there could be other species too that could do it...(monkfish, stingray, eagle ray...to name but 3).

Mike

Talking about monsters,on several occasions when I was out with my father in his boat we saw schools of porpoises in the harbour once was of off pottery pier,there were three or four of them,was frightening because they went round and round the boat.There were also some very large ills,in fact there are some still residing in Holes Bay and around Cobbs QUAY.

Little doubt that the good old days are long gone, dredging and trawling along with human greed has seen the stock decimated , very sad for us anglers but modern tech , gear and methods mean all is not lost.

Never be afraid of trying something new, you need to up you game in modern times, read every catch report good and bad.

I started 40 years ago off the pier with a solid glass rod, weights were old spark plugs with a simple flowing trace, could it be a case of ^ rose tinted glasses ^ ? I still remember the excitement of the first Pouting, Weaver etc, expectation was far , far lower but every fish still caused that massive grin on my face.

40 years later I'm still smiling, I'm happy to go scratching for these little critters, I now use very light rods with 6lb line, I still get that thrill.

The 'doing' is far more important to my mindset than the end result, you must lower your expectations in this modern world and adapt your methods to suit.

It's not the size it's the thrill of using it with skill ( as the wife keeps telling me) and most of all it beats working on the bloody house.