Parable for the New Year

duncan

A boat docked in a tiny Mexican village. An American tourist complimented the Mexican fisherman on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took him to catch them.

"Not very long," answered the Mexican.

"Well, then, why didn't you stay out longer and catch more?" asked the American.

The Mexican explained that his small catch was sufficient to meet his needs and those of his family.

The American asked, "But what do you do with the rest of your time?"

"I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, and take a siesta with my wife. In the evenings, I go into the village to see my friends, have a few drinks, play the guitar, and sing a few songs...I have a full life."

The American interrupted, "I have an MBA from Harvard and I can help you! You should start by fishing longer every day. You can then sell the extra fish you catch. With the extra revenue, you can buy a bigger boat. With the extra money the larger boat will bring, you can buy a second one and a third one and so on until you have an entire fleet of trawlers.

Instead of selling your fish to a middle man, you can negotiate directly with the processing plants and maybe even open your own plant. You can then leave this little village and move to Mexico City, Los Angeles, or even New York City! From there you can direct your huge enterprise."

"How long would that take?" asked the Mexican.

"Twenty, perhaps twenty-five years," replied the American.

"And after that?"

"Afterwards? That's when it gets really interesting," answered the American, laughing. "When your business gets really big, you can start selling stocks and make millions!"

"Millions? Really? And after that?"

"After that you'll be able to retire, live in a tiny village near the coast, sleep late, play with your children, catch a few fish, take siestas with your wife, and spend your evenings drinking and enjoying your friends.

Sounds about right

We work hard to live comfortably with a few enjoyments in life, take on all the hassles that work brings.

Just to get as much enjoyment as we got from simple things as kids.

When the boat was Dads, we dug the bait and could ride to our fishing marks by bike if Dad was to busy to take the boat out.

As they say

"Work is the curse of the fishing classes."

Or as Sam says

"Born to fish,forced to go to school"

Charlie

And here's another

A great reason to buy a boat

WATER MAGIC, HYDROTHERAPY: When you have experienced the dawn breaking with the sun slowly rising and felt the sense of freedom, excitement and challenge that this brings, then you could be `hooked` on the joys of boating. As far as I can tell there is no known cure! Peace is possible (turn the mobile off). This is hydrotherapy, where our connection to life and nature is restored (however briefly), our body says "thankyou" and our mind finally stops its endless chatter. The colours are a little brighter and life a little sweeter - we have escaped to peace and freedom. Pressure and stress are absent for a few hours, days or weeks. We can choose how we `invest` the next twenty four hours. We can allow ourselves the luxury of rest and relaxation; we can leave the traffic behind, look good and feel great, put fun and joy back into our lives, we put life back into our years instead of just putting years into our life and, if we choose, we can create challenge and excitement as well.