auxiliary outboard bracket

gaffa

Have been told by insurance company that one of the requirements for a 20mile rather than 12 mile coverage limit is that an auxiliary engine has to be fitted & working.

I would expect an 8hp to 10hp 4 stroke longshaft saildrive  would be ideal on my boat but I haven't really got any room to fit it easily without standing it off the stern a considerable distance for the leg to clear the Bennet hydraulic trim tabs.

Any ideas as to supplier of an outboard bracket capable of clearing trim tabs.

The generally available ones would need offsetting from the stern by at least 500mm I think :unsure:

If I beefed up the stern rails I might  be able to come up with a tripod like structure that would take a standard bracket but operating the ouboard would be a nightmare :wacko:

Any Ideas guys?

Peteg

post-214-0-13939800-1395346590_thumb.jpg

Thanks Rob :P

Brian

Trim tabs are 10 inches wide by 12 inches long and transom slopes opposite way to yours.and doesn't have a continuous  flat surface due to step see picture.

I am surprised at how much clearance you have .

which bracket have you got and what size is outboard?

There may be hope yet :)

Peteg

post-214-0-21502700-1395351068_thumb.jpg

Interesting Martin

I'm with Porthcawl and Allianz

who is your insurer?

For the time being I'm happy to stick with the 12mile limit as I don't venture very far off shore generally but can see benefits fitting an auxiliary as I suppose it does give you a little peace of mind especially when out alone and without any of the great PBSBAC buddy boats in the vicinity.

I am insured through Fowler Penfold brokers, Insurers are Allianz Global Corporate & Speciality AG with the underwriters being Mercia Marine

My policy does not state how far from shore but says: Inland and coastal waters of the united kingdom, waters between Brest to the river Elbe and all passages between.

I read that to say I can go anywhere I want to go within that area including the whole of the English Channel

Martin

Hi Martin, is AWOL cat b or c .. Surprised coverage is unrestricted as most I have looked have at least 20 mile restriction .. Which means we gamble a bit and hope we do not get run down by a tanker at 21miles out!

Peter

Porthcawl made the same demand of me (working Aux engine + VHF DSC radio) when I switched from 12 to 20 miles range, which they amended without charge. It seems a perfectly reasonable requirement, if it's technically possible to comply obviously.

I just received my renewal which, to the penny, is exactly what I paid last year and cheap as chips. This from a company with an excellent claims record too.

All things considered I'll be staying put.

Duncan

It's worth checking that current fuel lines will fit on the auxilliary engine.

You might also want a good estimate of fuel consumption per hour at displacement speeds (5 knots?) in good conditions and punching back into "typical" weather such as a Northerly F3/4 , where speed over the ground will be much lower, possibly 2-3 knots depending on windage etc.

For example:

20 miles back at 2 knots into a head wind/small waves = 10 hours

Fuel consumption possibly = 5 litres per hour (to check!)

Total fuel to get back on auxilliary = potentially 50 litres.

Despite being a smaller engine, you might use more fuel for the distance if punching wind and waves, because of the total time "out".

Mike

Thanks for all the info guys

Martin, my boat is a class C so can understand if there are additional restrictions to a class B like yours.

Duncan, I agree with everything you say about Porthcawl Insurance(PIC) and whats more its my home town as well :rolleyes:

....and currently am staying within 4 miles of them during part of the week so it would be rude not to support them B)

Brian, Appreciate your efforts and if you could find a makers name it would assist .

Mike .......................................OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Hadn't thought about fuel consumption at that Rate

Currently I run 3 x 25 litre portable plastic tanks on board at an average fuel usage rate of approx 1.5 litre per mile or 24litres per hour approx (estimating crusing at about 16knots) so I use the old addage of 1 tank for out ,1 tank for in and 1 tank spare.

At displacement speeds of 2 knots the fuel consumption on the main engine would be scary over 10hrs and I hadn't really considered it if having to go into limp mode due to an engine fault :wacko:

So even if I fitted an auxiliary I should be considering taking an extra 25 litres on board I guess. :(

Makes you think doesn't it :)

Peteg

Pete, Your normal approach with 3 tanks is sensible, and gives you a reserve, subject to not drifting/recovering ground over a distant mark after using a whole tank.

My estimate of 5 litres per hour on an auxilliary running flat out may be over or under, depends on model, boat windage, sea state etc.

It's all about margin for error. The auxilliary would almost certainly be fine for over 90% of your time afloat in a season, but potentially close to it's limit on your suggested outer range.

However, if conditions deteriorate or the wind goes Northerly and picks up a bit, you know it will struggle to cope, and you will probably be travelling across tide, so no tidal assistance. If this happens, leaving early on your main engine might make sense.

However, if you need to use it, the auxiliiary should get you within radio range of shore (your DSC VHF may only have line of sight range - say 10-12 miles), so you can call and arrange help for the last leg back, if needed.

A lot in the club work the buddy boat system particularly on distant marks, which can work well if you each carry enough fuel for a displacement-speed tow.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Mike

As usual you are the purveyor of a common sense approach to these issues.

Many thanks for the advice .

I have a number of reasons for contemplating the installation of an auxiliary other than the 20mile issue but at the moment am in the very early stages.

I will get the boat off the drystack and onto a maintenance berth this weekend and start taking some decent dims and access points for support backplates etc.

Its one thing fitting an auxiliary on my boat and quite another being able to operate it easily as the rear deck space is limited and also at a raised level compared to the inside cabin.

I can imagine the steering tiller poking through the stern rails restricting the turning circle

post-214-0-81559700-1395414889_thumb.jpg

Pete,

You might find that close quarters control might be tricky, but your main engine and wheel will still give you moderate steerage control if the auxiliary is locked straight ahead, though with a larger than normal turning circle.

You probably would be able to get back to the bridge, for example, but doing 90° turns that way into the berth would be tricky.

For close quarters work, I'd lift the tiller handle clear of the bars, and operate it in "near vertical" mode, with vectored short bursts of throttle giving you slow progressive steerage.

Chances are, you'd have lots of helping hands.

Mike

Duncan Thanks for info

I have seen Trem advertised on quite a few Chandlers sites so will have a look art range

http://www.aquafax.co.uk/html/product_specification.asp?ID=25654

I can only seem to find an up to 20hp model at he moment and  I am aware that 20hp refers to a nice light 2 stroke option not 4 stroke and max weight of 35kg also depends on weight distribution  but it looks rerasonable value for money but wont handle  handle a 9.9hp mariner at 38kgs but will handle a 6hp sail drive

Food for thought