Transducer advice

sparky

Hello guys,  just purchased a Lowrance Elite 5x HDI fishfinder with a transom mount transducer.

Have heard that the transducer is not suitable for use on a shaft drive boat, can any body please advice me if it will work on my boat (MF 695 ) and where  is best place to site it. ?

Many thanks,    

Mick

Mick, I don't see a reason why it wouldn't work on a shaft drive boat if you can find clean water to site it in.  If it were me I would be looking to fit it inside the boat somewhere away from the prop.  You can fit a transom mount inside the boat to shoot through the hull by using something like plumbers mate initially to see where it works best.  When a good place is found you can then fix permanently with a  pack glue or in a bath of cheep cooking oil.  The most important things when fitting are: clean water, no air between the transducer and the hull, and fixing the transducer upright.

Others will probably have more ideas on how to fix internally

Martin

I have a lowrance transom mount transducer on Alfresco

Sighted inside the boat as , martin describes.

It works fine, we get a usable reading up to about 20 knots.

Mine was tested for position using blue tac, then glued in the bilge with an epoxy glue. It has been there for 7 yesrs now

Charlie

Well, plasticine it is before something more permanent.

I would guess the shaft drive warning maybe for transom mounting as there is nowhere to keep clear of the turbulent water, where with an OB it is behind the prop.

I would guess your gonna have to wait and see.

I see a long 6 weeks ahead for you!

Btw, weather is lovely today!

I had a Lowrance structure scan on my last boat a MF 805 (shaft drive), I think that is the type of transducer you are referring to, the transducer had to be mounted outside the hull. Initially it was only available for transom mounting so I mounted it on the transom...  It was ok but washed out at medium speeds (15knots if I recall right) it was also a long way from the standard transducer so overlay images did not exactly align.

When a hull mounted one became available I fitted that under the hull near the standard transducer and in a wash free zone. The result was it worked up to the maximum speed of the MF (23knots) and the overlay was perfectly aligned.

Steve

It is a transom mount transducer with HDI ( giving a picture of the seabed............hopefully !! )

I have spoken to Lowrance since I posted here, have been told that the HDI will not " SHOOT THRU HULL ".

So all I can do is fit it to the transom while boat is out..... and hope it works !!!

Looked at thru  hull HDI hybrid transducer, but at £ 400 I think I'll give that a miss, thanks for the advice everyone, watch this space ????????

Mick

Mick

I have recently fitted the lowrance elite 5 HDI with the dual  transducer onto the transom of my boat alongside my original lowrance x65 transducer.

It works great with only minimal noise interference if both units switched on (generally I keep the x65 as backup together with the original globalmap 3300c plotter) .

Sounder & downscan works fine up to just over 20 knots but haven't managed to take the boat faster as yet .

I can't see a problem in getting the transom mounted transducer to work correctly provided you can keep it away from strakes and turbulence.My boat generates quite a rooster tail from the 115hp outboard so can't imagine a shaft drive being unsuitable

.If you can find a similar shaft drive boat in the club and  an accommodating member you may be able   to trial it by temporarily mounting it on a wooden pole and try it at various locations including over the side as well as the stern.

A small 12volt gel battery would allow you to power up the unit.

Best of Luck

Peteg

Just seen your reply Pete,

Thanks for your reply, what was the HDI picture like on your unit, what do you reckon on the fishfinder ?

I am gonna fit the transom mount and see what happens then, if no good I will just reconnect my thru hull transducer.

Thanks,      Mick

Mick,

I have only used it in anger once so far on a shakedown trip and love it!

The HDI is excellent .

Playing around with it on a pontoon at Cobbs showed weird returns at about 3ft below the boat so switched over to backup unit which showed the same so had to accept there was funny things going out with the ebb.

Out in the bay where there is a bit more water you get some nice results.

It takes a bit of setting up as too much gain and noise removal wipes out the data so at the moment I am setting most things in auto as per the advice on the doctor sonar Elite 7 HDI dvd which I purchased at great cost from the States and not only got hit for £13 of postage but a further Customs and PO handling charge of £13.

PM me if you want to view it and I can post it to you for a loan.

I dont think you will be dissapointed with the unit.I have it mounted on a special bracket which allows me to rotate it and view it from deck as well as helm

It suits me just fine

Pete