A bigger Windlass

Steve S

I'm in the market at the moment for a new Windlass, the one I've got is a Lewmar Ocean 1 (quoted as 700w) it's runs at 18m/min (on no load), which makes for a slow haul from deep water especially with a fair tide, and if you don't get the right position first time...

Been looking around and the Lofrans like the Project 1000/1500 or X2 (1000w and up) appear to have a decent retrieve speed at high as 45m/min (they quote!) on no load and some grunt on a 1000w and up models. I had a older 1000w Lofrans on the last boat and it had a decent retrieve speed so they are a contender.

I'll be going to the SBS to check out what they have there.

Suggestions welcome.

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

After much research I found out a few things.

Lofrans - supply is patchy at best after the takeover. Their specs are full of errors, mainly of the cut and paste type but lead to a lack of confidence. The 45m/min speed turns out to be a drop not a retrieve speed, poor translation from Italian confused the issue. Their quoted retrieve speed is actually lower than the Lewmar but may be an under lift load speed hard to know due to my lack of confidence in the translations. Companies like EC Smith can't get them now so it's hard to get info from trustworthy sources, decided to leave well alone.

Lewmar's CPX3 and V3 (1000w) have the same spec 28m/min retrieve, use the same motor gearbox, Amber at Aqufax was very helpful and knows her stuff. The CPX3 basically is somewhat lighter and much cheaper due to using composite for the base and pressed stainless for the rode exit cover and I suspect Lewmar pricing policy is to have a lower price option. I was told they are absolutely fine. The best bit for me is it is a drop in replacement for the Ocean 1, no new holes to cut.

Other makes, none of the vertical ones were faster and some have real quality/reliability issues. Muir do a 35m/min horizontal model the compact hr900 but it doesn't have a drum option which I've found handy at times plus I'm not at all confident of the rope holding under load when there is basically only a 1/4 turn on the gypsy.

I've gone for a CPX3, delivery in around 4 weeks. The plan is to remove the rode exit cover for a drop by hand as before. I'm assured the multi plaid rope jamming problem when under load on the Ocean 1 (made a custom guide to reduce it) was sorted on the V3 and CPX3.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Just caught up with this thread....

If you're upgrading the windlass motor, the battery drain will be higher, so will the existing cables be able to handle this?

I'm toying with the idea of a windlass for Frisky one day, and cable diameter, length, and distance from the battery bank were all stated as factors to consider.

Regards,

Mike

Hi Steve I too have started looking at this issue

I do not have any problems with the one fitted to the fore deck of Alfresco, regarding hauling the rope through the gypsy.

The problem is stowing the rope in the locker as quick as the rope is recovered by the capstan, so that it does not jam on deck.

Because of that I only tend to use it inshore.when I have a crew or two.

I have started to look at the side deck capstans,

Muir had a smart one at the boat show and another 1000w unit is available from boatgeardirect, but they do not look like they would accept chain arount the drum and it would take a bit of modification to the boat to keep the motor dry,

I have started to look at the ones used on commercial boats. 

The CJ Capstan has a self contained motor but they only use a 750w motor and recovery speed is quoted at 14mtr/min,

which is a hell of a lot slower than Dan or Sam recover the rope by hand, after we Alderney ring the anchor LOL.

Tom has just had one fitted to Illusion, so I have emailed him to ask him about that question.

One small point about your direct swap from a 700w to a 1000w unit. Have you checked the spec of the wiring on your boat?

I had to use very heavy cable on mine because of the total length of the cable.

You do not want hotspots inside the boat while you recover your warp and chain.

Charlie

If you're upgrading the windlass motor, the battery drain will be higher, so will the existing cables be able to handle this?

I'm toying with the idea of a windlass for Frisky one day, and cable diameter, length, and distance from the battery bank were all stated as factors to consider.

Happy the cables over spec for the current windlass and within spec for the 1000w jobie. The boat has a dedicated windlass/thruster battery just a couple of metres cable length from the motor.

I did have a look at capstan solutions, the issue about supporting chain round them is not really a problem if you don't mind them getting scratched! Seen it done, a few wraps of chain works. However my boat layout does not suit a capstan operation as the anchor locker is right at the bow, if it was behind the capstan where it could drop in after coming off it would be fine. You also need to find a fast one and as you spotted many are really slow.

I think the hydraulic systems are best but a retrofit on my boat is just not on.

Steve

Each to their own, I prefer a windlass for a relatively large boat with a 15kg anchor and 22m of chain, I do have an split Alderney ring as a backup.

I used to use an Alderney ring on a 6m boat I had.

As for using the crew well usually its my Wife and it all I can do to get her out the cabin to net fish. Can't fault the cooked food and drinks though :)

"Darling just drag the anchor in would you my sweet we're on the move again."

"Whats that? your fed up of doing it, your arms ache, what sort of woman are you, it only our third stop today."

"Just think of all the fish we will catch at the next mark"

"yes I know the freezers full of fish already but we are down to our last Brill and might get one at the next plaice....." :wacko:

• 5 months later...

I took the newly fitted Lewmar CPX3 windlass for some trial anchoring yesterday on the shakedown run after the winter overhaul.

It performed brilliantly, not a word I use lightly.

After an initial trial in 18ft of water in the Solent I picked a spot near the Fairway buoy in the big springs, I put down 100yds hand fed, the tide was really ripping through :). On retrieve it wound the 14mm multiplaid at a good rate with no assistance from the engines and no apparent strain on the windlass. I could just keep up laying it neatly in the anchor locker (so much quicker than the Ocean 1). The rope didn't catch in the gypsy once (this was a problem with the old Ocean 1) and the rope-chain join fed through no problem.

The whole job was complete in a timed 4 minutes, the windlass motor was just a little warm.

I'm just going to make one modification, open the gap out between the windlass gypsy and guide into the anchor locker so that there is a little more room to feed the chain/rope out by hand. I'll shave a bit off the guide, about 8mm should do it.

Thats good Steve

Be carefull opening that gap

Thats the biggest problem with my bow capstan, if the feed into the locker backs up the rope jams between the gypsy and the guide. Tools are needed to remove the guide.

Hence all the effort currently going into fitting a sidedeck capstan