Lever or Star drag?

Jack the Lad

A Happy New Year to everybody and wishing y'all 'tight lines' for 2005.

I'm going to buy 2 Abu 7000 reels and I'd like to know is the Lever or Star drag better?

I think I've heard that some people have had probs with the Lever settings and maintenance, but not sure.

Both cost about same as buying in USA ; so just want to know which is best in use.

Cheers - Jack

My preference is the LD's, but as Duncan says, you need to keep on top of the maintenance.

I have Penn and Abu lever drags and in my experience the Penn has a smoother drag and seems to be more robust and has needed less maintenance.

Bob F.

Hi Bob,

Which model of Penn reel have you got? Is it the same size approx as Abu 7000 or if not; do you know what is the Penn model that equates to same size?

Cheers - Jack

Jack,

It's a Penn 25GLS but with the uprated Penn 225GL drag. So, it's essentially a Penn 225GL.

About the same size as my Abu7000.

The Abu7000 is a better casting reel if you were thinking of using it for uptiding, but for downtide work I prefer the Penn.

BF

Hiya Jack, on the subject of maintenance, if you follow a strict regime of flushing your reel under a cold water tap each time you come home, then shake out the water, and allow to dry at room temp. each time you use it, you will find that either star drag or lever drag reels will perform ok.

My personal choice are lever drag for two reasons: The drag set for normal use can be instantly adjusted if you do snag a bigger fish, and secondly there is no messing about taking hands of the rod and reel during adjustment, so you are always in contact with the fish, hence less chance of losing it.

My choice of reels are Penn firstly, my 225 has proved very robust over the 6 years Ive had it, my ABU LD reel, the 6700LD has not been up to much, its already gone back for servicing/replacement parts, after only six months of use.

Another club member has very kindly located me a TLD 5 which I have yet to use

Tight lines for 2005...Rich

Shimano's would be my pref. I have 3 x LD's and cannot fault them. After a years use, a quick hose down after every trip and a blast of wd40 and they remain like new.

The Abu's are alot smoother though - designed for casting as opposed to lowering down.

AF

Thanks guys for all the info and feedback

Definitely I ought to buy with lever drag but perhaps I should have some second thoughts on manufacturer. It appears that the Abu is better for casting uptide + ok downtide. But, there are other contenders.

I was going for Abu as I understood that they were the easiest to service yourself?

Cheers - Jack

As many keep saying the 25GLS (225LD) seem to just keep on going.

I have a (beautifull) 975LD but washing under a tap just wasn't enough for it and it has problems after only about 5 trips out - the 25GLS has been going strong for many years now and is happy uptide/downtide. I understand that some of the Shimano's are also very good.

Good choice - I think youll be pleased with them - pretty good bullet proof reels.

As you can see from the above postings - reels and all tackle for that matter is very much a personel thing, but thats what this forum is great for, getting others views and opinions.

I see you have ordered them from the US? I am surprised you couldnt find them at a similar price in the UK??

US purchase tax differs by state

Import duty is applied by UK so doesn't differ by state

Surprised it's 20% - would have estimated 3.5% if pushed for a view......

Shipping varies hugely. and the VAT is on goods+duty+shipping of course

prices vary even more of course, and we don't seem to be paying the same margins on fishing gear as electronics and boat gear in general - Penn can even be cheaper over here!

However Walmart in a fishing area is always a source of fantastic 'deals' - my current favorite downtide rod cost me all of $30.......

Rich,

Import tax is/was 3.7 % when I imported my GPS. VAT of 17.5% added on top as Duncan says.

If you assume 25% tax then you won't go far wrong.

I purchased from a store in New Jersey and had shipped to New York state, so no purchase tax was applied but as Duncan says, this varies from state to state.

I think the purchase tax in New York was around 8%

With the exchange rate so favourable, I am sure there are still bargains to be had.

See the following Importing from USA post :-

Importing post

Bob - it was/is a 7ft one piece entitled Wahoo by Haydon. Blank is similar to the Penn Tidecutter in that it's thin but stiff- SIC rings. rated 20-40lb. Was on a half price ticket from $60. Think there was the same rod with a lighter rating too.

Bought about 2 years ago in the Keys.

Had a quick look on their (walmart's) online store and can't see their fishing stock - must be localised. Did see this though sub 100 fishfinder if anyone's gogin out. It's cheap enough to bring back tax free as a gift and a damm good unit!

• 2 weeks later...

This could be of interest for anybody thinking of getting anything sent from USA. Quoted to me by a professional importer/exporter in the USA.

"Declared Value

By declaring the wholesale value of your purchases, you will save significant amounts in duty and taxes when importing your items through Access USA. By law, we are only required to declare the wholesale value of your purchases. The wholesale value is a "reasonable cost to manufacture the product" and is usually 50-60% below the retail value (the amount you paid for the mechandise)."

cheers - Jack

think this only applies to a trade import - and they don't have to meet the VAT on the shipping and import duty either (as a direct cost).

I would sugget that we ae realy talkinga bout personal imports which, as alrady suggerted, means if youare there and coming back 'great' otherwise there are soem bills to be budgetted for.

If otherwise I look forad to hearing!

think this only applies to a trade import - and they don't have to meet the VAT on the shipping and import duty either (as a direct cost).

I would sugget that we ae realy talkinga bout personal imports which, as alrady suggerted, means if youare there and coming back 'great' otherwise there are soem bills to be budgetted for.

If otherwise I look forad to hearing!

Hi Duncan,

Not sure - see below access usa web site. Seems set up for private individuals and then see Declared Value sub heading under main heading of Save on Shipping

AccessUSA

It would seem that if the supplier was prepared to give a 'commercial value' invoice it would be totally legal for a private person - what do you think?

Friends actually send me 'gifts' so not looking to use this company but just checking 'ins and outs' of the importing situation.

Cheers Jack

whoops - sorry about that post Martin, Jack and others..........

and er yes...how observant! As I also made 2 phone calls to arrange to go fishing Sunday around the same time....but somehow forgot to discuss it with ph34r.gif care was needed........

back to the topic in question - and in English (or close) - you are goign to pay tax on the value of the goods & in normal circumstances C&E will acccept the invoiced amount as this value.

Getting a reputable company to invoice you for less than the value, or value paid, is tough, very tough.

Even if you do it's no guarantee and, critically, you may well be into the relms of pretty serious criminal activity.

Only real option I would have thought viable is to arrange a second hand purchase where clearly the value is significantly below retail (in most cases - not gold Rolex's) and that value is agreed and documented by both parties.