Lever or Star drag?

Jack the Lad

tongue.giftongue.gif Hi Hoggy, Interesting post mate. My personal favourites are the Penn 975 LD and Shimano TLD 5 and 10. The other big thing with Lever drag is the capability to adjust the drag very quickly as you near the boat with a big fish, slacken as it nears the boat then increase slowly if it runs again. The drag system is also very easy to keep smooth in these reels. Hair dryer and dry rag twice a year and thats it. I would suggest that star drags are more condusive to Mono as it is more forgiving, and braid for lever drags. As you say Hoggy, personal preference mate, Regards, BB cool.gif

An alternative consideration is the Abu 7000 Sychro .... a stardrag that has the ability to backwind approximately 60 degrees or so! .... this back winding motion releases the clutch setting by approximately 50% ... very useful when bringing a Tope along side the boat ... if it runs as they do when they appear played out " till they see the hull " ... you then simply turn the handle in the normal rotation and the clutch setting is reengaged as you had set it prior!

I find it really does work well ... they made a 6000 series sychro also ... again a nice reel .... probably better for mono line but not impossible for using braid as long as the diameter is not too fine ....

Paul J