Parkstone Bay info wanted

Mike Hall

Hi all

Earlier this year I purchased a new project (someone hit me with a big stick ) :lol:

I bought the boat towed it back from devon and set about working on it and as usual found more rot than i needed to find so eventually i ended up with just a bare hull

she is 21 ft long with a beam of 7 foot approx sizes and made from grp (except all the topsides which were in ply and hardwood . Any way I am trying to track down the maker of the hull (No Name plate) so far i have narrowed it down to possibly being the hull very much like a parkstone bay which were i believe built by F C Mitchell at the then named Mitchells boat yard in Poole any one out there with any info on these boats Photos Publications sales mags etc hiding in the loft ? One of the things i'm trying to determine is size of inboard to use it has at present a sabb 10 hp single cylinder diesel whis although i love the sound of am thinking is not really going to have enough steam for my intended use out in the bay and around to swanage etc.I have already made a new grp cabin/wheelhouse and rear deck and am in the process of making moulds to form new gunnels still lots to be done (looking back it would have been easier to bought a new hull moulding gone from there )!!

a few pics added for you to see of work so far

All your thoughts and comments welcome

post-99-0-31299200-1378900087_thumb.jpg

post-99-0-93282200-1378900122_thumb.jpg

post-99-0-98683900-1378900184_thumb.jpg

the first pic shows boat as I purchased it

second shows the new cabin/wheelhouse moulding sat on the boat (i built a mould first then layed it up )

third is a view of inside when stripped out

still a lot of work to do and a long way to go but should be a lovely boat when finished

if enough interest i will add more photos of the build as i go

Also looks similar to an Islander 21 - which I believe were built on the Isle of Wight until the mid 70's.

If you go to the bottom of Turks Lane in Poole - find your way down to the Sea Scout's building - next to what used to be Lathams Booatyard - you may find a number of the Parkstone Bay boats on the hardstanding, together with a number of knowledgeable people who own them.

May not be of benefit to stick a bigger engine in the boat - they have a displacement hull which may limit the top speed anyway. Mine was 6 Knots - so takes a long time to get anywhere unless you go with the tide!

Good Luck with the project!

Neal

Hi

I work at Parkstone Yacht Club and have six of these in a row on the first pontoon in our Yacht Haven, plus a few on the moorings and other berths.

A lot of the original ones had mercedes diesels from build about 40HP.

If you want to come and have a look please get in touch, or I could put you in touch with the class captain who would happily answer your questions

Charlie 01202 738824 work

Also looks similar to an Islander 21 - which I believe were built on the Isle of Wight until the mid 70's.

If you go to the bottom of Turks Lane in Poole - find your way down to the Sea Scout's building - next to what used to be Lathams Booatyard - you may find a number of the Parkstone Bay boats on the hardstanding, together with a number of knowledgeable people who own them.

May not be of benefit to stick a bigger engine in the boat - they have a displacement hull which may limit the top speed anyway. Mine was 6 Knots - so takes a long time to get anywhere unless you go with the tide!

Good Luck with the project!

Neal

Hi Neal yes I am aware of it being a displacement hull and not going to be a fast boat i have bought some books on working out what hp engine to use but at the moment the maths involved is going to take a while to sink in fuel economy is what is important for me to get maximum use from a boat if i have to find £ 50 to £100 pounds a time to go out any  distance it's not going to get much use (Ialso own a shetland with a rather thirsty merc 75 on which is costly to run ) 2 things i put on the paper when looking to buy something more deck space ie for more people and fuel economy oh and one thing not on the paper fell in love with the boats shape too! .I know she will be a plodder but not sure if the day came when needed to punch tide back through the ferry the little sabb would be up to it although this little motor is virtually indestructable and will go on all day on very little fuel.not looking for speed just enough grunt to get home if conditions change like they tend to do every now and then if when finished i find she doesent do everything i would like her too i consider it like a piggy bank and although will never recoup cost of labour she will only increase in value so when sold will have a little more cash to buy something a little better time will tell

Hi

I work at Parkstone Yacht Club and have six of these in a row on the first pontoon in our Yacht Haven, plus a few on the moorings and other berths.

A lot of the original ones had mercedes diesels from build about 40HP.

If you want to come and have a look please get in touch, or I could put you in touch with the class captain who would happily answer your questions

Charlie 01202 738824 work

Hi Charlie many thanks for the invite would love to come and have a look and a chat is always good too the more boating info gained the better never stop learning

will call soon

I can't see how a bigger engine will help at the harbour entrance in a displacement craft. If max hull speed is 6 knots then with 3 knots of tide your sog will be 3, but you are doing 6 and as you say, a bigger engine wont give you more.

Calculator for speed: http://www.psychosnail.com/boatspeedcalculator.aspx

or http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/technical/hullspeed/hullspeed.htm

I guess the guys at PYC should be able to offer advise for the best engine for your requirements.

Rob

I had an 18ft Plymouth Pilot with a 17hp inboard and 5hp aux outboard. The inboard would travel all day at between 6 & 7 knots on about a thimble of fuel. The speed didnt improve after about 2,000 revs so It was probably only using about 10hp at its most efficient. My 5hp outboard used to get me to very nearly the same speed but much noisier:-)